Register free!

Old 10-07-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cut a notch lower than usual before (EOW)

I have noticed most LCO's around here cut a notch lower before thay start up the EOW schedule. Most cut St. Aug at 4in but will cut it at 3 3/4 just before switching up the schedule. Do you guys let your customer know the change in schedule or do you just skip a week and not tell them? Thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

its in all my service agreements when i start eow, so the client knows before hand..bahia, i might cut a notch lower, but st aug i keep the same.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Everything's in our contract so there is no discrepancy. A few of our lawns are at 3 3/4 but we never go lower than that for St. Augustine. Keep in mind these are accounts with fert and water and we never cut to where we are damaging the lawn.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing getting cut shorter right now is Bahia. About a month ago i was cutting it at 4", now, I'm cutting at 3.25". In another month it will be at 2.5-2.75" and stay at that height until next April/May. St. Aug will go down .25" in a month or so, but will not go any lower than that through the winter.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bahia went to 3.5 this week or last.

St. Augustine - most lawns are still at 5......and will remain there. I leave more leaf structure there after the last two years freeze. Seemed to give a better canopy to protect from the freeze. The top portion of the turf will be brown and nasty in many cases but the lower side will be showing a good portion of green.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Bahia went to 3.5 this week or last.

St. Augustine - most lawns are still at 5......and will remain there. I leave more leaf structure there after the last two years freeze. Seemed to give a better canopy to protect from the freeze. The top portion of the turf will be brown and nasty in many cases but the lower side will be showing a good portion of green.
5" geez that's tall, you must be well north of here to be concerned about freezing temps. We cut to 4" all year round. We don't cut bahaia

... (yet)
Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
5" geez that's tall, you must be well north of here to be concerned about freezing temps. We cut to 4" all year round. We don't cut bahaia

... (yet)
After the last two years freezes I have found it much better to leave tall going into winter. I cut most of the heat of the season in the 4.5 or 5 range too unless I think it is aiding a fungus issue. Most lawns you do not notice the height difference ...they look cut nice....but they do tend to have a darker color and less weeds than those cut lower.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I cut my own St.Aug at 5inches and it looks amazing. Like Michael says it looks good when its cut at this height.