Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

So who wants to make some money?

All the spray guys on here need to rent a house or whatever in my area (Pinellas county) and do your thing. Service around me is terrible, I'm not sure what it is with these companies but I'm seeing weeds taking over that are so easy to treat. Lawns are yellow and thin throughout the season, and bugs are outta control. I try and work with the customers about proper watering and inform of bugs/weeds and proper nutrients only to have the spray guys come back and blame everything 100% on us when the customer complains.

I will pull up to a house that used to be nice thick green grass and these days its just kinda sad. I will have the guys skip a cut just so the lawn makes it another month or two.

The few bigger lawn maintenance CO's that keep spray in house keep their accounts thick and green, and there are a few old school guys still around with ratty ol' cab over Isuzu's that do great work (they seem to not want any more work though as if about to retire) but for the most part its bad round here real bad. This year is the worst I have ever seen. If I had the time money and patience I'd go get my license.

I'm being serious here too, I know they have cut Nitrogen during the rainy months and as far as other pesticides being cut back to less potency In this area that's still no excuse as I have bought from my suppliers whats still available and treated some of my commercial props and the results are great as should be.

Let me know how I can help.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The problem here is similar, but having someone that did a better job does not mean your customer would pay for it. Here's what I see...frequently.

Customer has a decent company.
TG comes along and quotes a ridiculously low price. Customer has heard of TG, they must be good.
Customer hires them.
Yard goes to crap.
They hire one of the other companies based again, on price.
Looks no better.
TG shows up again with an even lower price saying they have a new manager and can do a better job this time.
Lawn continues to fall apart.
Rinse and repeat.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The problem here is similar, but having someone that did a better job does not mean your customer would pay for it. Here's what I see...frequently.

Customer has a decent company.
TG comes along and quotes a ridiculously low price. Customer has heard of TG, they must be good.
Customer hires them.
Yard goes to crap.
They hire one of the other companies based again, on price.
Looks no better.
TG shows up again with an even lower price saying they have a new manager and can do a better job this time.
Lawn continues to fall apart.
Rinse and repeat.

Pretty accurate for those that do not place a high priority on there lawn - sometimes however you get those customers that just "Get It" and that is when we are all happy lawn turds.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not sure if that's entirely the pest control operators fault. We are experiencing a lot of lawns suffering from some decline. The principal problem is fungus as a result of an extremely warm, wet and humid rainy season, add to this the home owners continuing to water makes for ideal conditions.

There is no effective treatment once fungus is established in the turf other than to reduce watering significantly. Fungicides are effective if applied prior to the establishment of fungus and then need to be repeated at intervals.

Adding nitrogen fertilizers aggravates the problem and herbicides will accelerate the decline of an already shocked turf. If the fert & squirts are adding N, and/or broad leaf control, then you can blame them.

Best to turn off the sprinklers and leave the lawn alone for a while. Create a working relationship with the fert & squirts, you'll know what's going on, they'll know what's going on, the lawns will look better and you'll get the credit.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

bottom line is a lot of people have had to cut corners just to stay in business....when TG promises the world for next to nothing all they are doing is putting everyone else out of business....mowing and such has to be done...but chem. apps. seem to be less important for most in this economy...we had the chem app. on most of our properties...now we are down about 50% and falling....we just wont cut the corners...if they cant/wont pay what it costs then it just doesnt make sense....we still do the mowing maintenance but most have cut out/ down on the chem. apps.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good points here guys, Its been a steady decline in my area for the past 5 years and these last two are the worst.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know how anybody in the spraying business can keep customers. It seems like around here people drop one company for another. I see it over and over. It is not all about the price though. If they get a new company in the neighborhood they all hop onto it.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

So the best approach is not to apply fertilizer, weed & insect control if necesary and stop watering altogether? Sounds like a novel approach, but not practical in my neck of the woods.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pinellas is also under a fert ban. A decent wet season after a very dry spring I wouldn't expect much different. Let's not forget a deeper depression of the economy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2011, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
bottom line is a lot of people have had to cut corners just to stay in business....when TG promises the world for next to nothing all they are doing is putting everyone else out of business....mowing and such has to be done...but chem. apps. seem to be less important for most in this economy...we had the chem app. on most of our properties...now we are down about 50% and falling....we just wont cut the corners...if they cant/wont pay what it costs then it just doesnt make sense....we still do the mowing maintenance but most have cut out/ down on the chem. apps.
The 25 dollar TG app promises everything and only delivers disappointment.
Posted via Mobile Device