Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Lesco Three Way on Staugustine

I'm up in NE Oklahoma where we don't see Staugustine too often. It's my first. Around here we use Simazine and Three Way for our fall treatments on warm season grass with excellent results. I'm getting conflicting answers when asking around what broadleaf control I can use. Lesco rep says to use my normal Simazine/Three way mix and I didn't think Staugustine could take 2,4D. He said I'll get a little yellowing which would be ok since the color it turning anyways in Oct. Thanks for any advise.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

NE Oklahoma gets a little cold for St. Augustine, are you sure that's what it is?

I wouldn't use 3 way on St. Agustine, mix blade & quicksilver for safe treatment on St. Agustine.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Broadleaf = manor when I was doing my own lawn. Cost effective and great control. I have heard missed reviews on celsius
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2011, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah it's definately St. Augustine. I thought it was the 2,4D in the 3 way that hurt it. Trimecs label, which is like 3 way, says its safe. 3 way label says its ok on Dormant St. Augustine. Thanks for the replies. I'll put down something that is for sure safe.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Spraying St. Aug with a full rate of 3-way is a "crap shoot". I've seen it knock it back for months and I've seen it have no ill effects. I am limited on tank space so what I do is mix with a half rate of 3-way and a full rate of simazine, spray the few St. Augs I have that day first then adjust my 3-way rate for typical bermuda/zoysia spraying the rest of that day. This has worked great for me for years.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use it at the rate it calls for southern grasses 80 degrees and below. Over 80 I switch to celcius.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Ted Thanks. Sounds good. There's only around 3ksf of Staugustine on this property but I want to make sure it comes back in the spring. We don't see it around here much and I've never treated it before.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Turf Dog thats exactly what my Lesco rep said after he asked a rep in SE Texas. I think I'm just going to go with a lower rate on it and I can alway back pack a few areas in Nov. if needed.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have never seen anything less than a high rate of amine based herbicide + surfactant kill weeds here. This is more than what st augustine will deal with and not stunt or turn yellow. I will second the metsulfuron + Quicksilver or even Celsius + Quicksilver. One more thing, both of those herbicides stay in the soil to affect weeds attempting to germinate after the first generation has been killed.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am going to weigh in on this one because in the past I have recommend Three Way on several occassion. I am also going to give away one of my secrets. When applying 3 Way us the 3/4 oz rate as per label, BUT USE 5 GALLON OF WATER PER THOUSAND for no burn on St A and good weed control. The lower percent per volume of water saves the St A any rel stress.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.