Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Customer-friendly Pre-emergent Verbiage

What does everybody else call their pre-emergent applications? We also perform dormant sprays, and "pre-emergent" and "dormant" are close enough in connotation that it sometimes confuses our clients. New clients not familiar with landscape terminology often aren't familiar with the term, either.

I've seen "weed preventative," "crabgrass killer," etc., but there has to be some better language that the average person understands right away . . . I hope.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I refer mine to step 1: crabgrass preventer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glenn's post is about right. But you have competition.

Can you improve on crabgrass preventer or preventative?

However: how about crabgrass blocker? Crabgrass stopper?
Crabgrass seed stopper? Crabgrass barrier? Crabgrass protection? Crabgrass eliminator? Seed burner for crabgrass?
Old 12-11-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Pre emergent crabgrass control. A bit of a mouthful but fairly direct and certainly sounds professional.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I had forgotten about the "Step 1" approach some companies use (and Scott's, I think, retail the same way). Friendly and simple.

Pre-emergents are also effective on other weeds, and as crabgrass is not as prevalent here as other weeds are, I'd like to land on something more relatable. Good point about competition - I may call everybody for free estimates just to see what shows up on the paperwork!

We use PestPac, so there is a basic, very short field to name a service, then a longer descriptive field that immediately follows it that can be edited as needed (but still fairly short). Then of course we have fields meant for longer and much more specific notes.

Using "BAREGROUND" in the key field and in our conversations got away from the more potentially misleading "STERILANT" and confusing "VEGETATION MANAGEMENT" that we used to use. Things like "WEED & FEED" are easily understood, so we're leaving those alone. Anything I can simplify before we update in January, though, I'd sure like to look at - we'll be printing new promotional material then.

Much appreciate the feedback so far!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good point, Cable. If you can say it stops other weeds also--it of course sounds better than if you only stopped crabgrass. You can't win if you don't compete.
You could say, "Our new exclusive crabgrass control formula that also controls seven additional tough weeds." Of course, that would be a bit of an exaggeration for some of us...Dimension isn't really "exclusive". Of course, you could blend two crabgrass products together to have a formula that was really unique and "exclusive"...available only at "MY Company!" Mix dry products. Or perhaps you apply Dimension first and then follow up with a second ap of prodiamine. If you are using liquid--you can blend dithiopyr and prodiamine.
And don't forget to include, "And our product actually kills young crabgrass plants even AFTER they have started to sprout in your lawn."
Be sure to claim that, "No dilute weak solutions, we use the product extra strength--the maximum allowed by law." or "Full southern-strength for tough, hot weather conditions."
Old 12-12-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

That's some GOOD stuff right there. I can't wait to get done slogging through the database so I can start in on the new marketing material.

There is an inherent genius in enumerating a specific number of weeds - it suggests we have really done our research, and it also suggests there are weeds that are more difficult to deal with (and there most certainly are). I'm hoping to come up with a basic infographic to help customers understand there are critical differences between perennials, winter annuals, summer annuals, etc.

The design contest we put up at hatchwise.com is set to expire tomorrow, too, so we'll have our new logo ready to start attacking literature. Even in the Pacific Northwest it seems like we never have enough time during the slow part of the year to do all the things we didn't have time to do when it was busy!