Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Walker mower operator comfort?

I am having a debate with a friend who is a die hard walker person. While i think they are a fine machine if your having to bag clippings i demo'ed one last summer at the dealer and found it cumbersome and uncomfortable to operate. I am partial to a Grasshopper 928D 72" but currently mow with an Encore FZ48 Front Mount as i got a screaming deal last spring on it as a leftover 09. Both the Grasshopper and the Encore have an operator platform for your feet to ride on and you can sit back with your arms on the armrests in a relaxed position while on the Walker you have to ride more upright and your left arm is resting on your leg while your right arm is hanging over the armrest on the speed control. Your feet also ride on the deck so you feel every bump and jar the small deck wheels hit. The bouncing around of my feet on the deck was my biggest turnoff by far. On a golfcourse lawn i suppose it wouldn't matter much. Does it cost that much more to put a foot platform on a Walker? They are DAMN spendy the way it is!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They make a curb jumper that you put on top of the deck. allows your legs to rest in a more comfortable position. I love my walkers and find it quite comfortable with the curb jumper on. My buisness thrives on the quality of cut of a walker so I'd have to deal with comfortability if it were an issue
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2011, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonslawnmanagement View Post
They make a curb jumper that you put on top of the deck. allows your legs to rest in a more comfortable position. I love my walkers and find it quite comfortable with the curb jumper on. My buisness thrives on the quality of cut of a walker so I'd have to deal with comfortability if it were an issue
Posted via Mobile Device

I saw that option. Still doesn't help the leg fatigue on rough lawns.........
Old 01-23-2011, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well walkers are not for rough lawns. I have the curb jumper and the suspension seat so I never reply noticed any discomfort. I also run ferris ztr's, so the suspension helps on rough lawns. Maybe you should toss the idea of a walker and just get a comfortable ztr with a bagger and striping kit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2011, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonslawnmanagement View Post
Well walkers are not for rough lawns. I have the curb jumper and the suspension seat so I never reply noticed any discomfort. I also run ferris ztr's, so the suspension helps on rough lawns. Maybe you should toss the idea of a walker and just get a comfortable ztr with a bagger and striping kit?
Posted via Mobile Device

I am good with the Encore as most in my area of Montana mulch lawns. I actually cut my watering in 1/2 on my acre of lawn last year by mulching VS bagging with no ill effects. I am noticing less and less bagging contractors. I am actually looking at the 61" prowler diesel for my bigger lawns this season unless i can pick up a deal on a 72" grasshopper. The only reason i put up this post is to see if others had the same thoughts on the design of a Walker and the lack of thought for operator comfort.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I found it extremely uncomforatable the first hour or two i used it. But after that i felt so much better after a long day using it than i ever did using any of my other mowers.

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 01-23-2011, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get the foot rests make ride very comfortable if I cut with an Encore I would lose at least half my customers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyusa View Post
Get the foot rests make ride very comfortable if I cut with an Encore I would lose at least half my customers
Posted via Mobile Device

I have had no issues with Encore. The cut is great if you don't bag which i don't. Lawns here in the mountains are typically rough and hilly. People are not so anal retentive about there lawns unless they are from out of state. I only have 5 commercial accounts, 1 realty office and 4 homes. The other 80-100 cuts a month are for sale homes that are bank owned. We keep them trimmed up pretty nice. I have a few photos to post. The 1st 3 are a property that was vacant for 2 months. Check the time stamps on these pics to see how long it took. 3 passes with a sharp set of Gator Blades at 19,500 FPM tip speed and there was nothing left nor nothing bagged. The grass was pretty dry or this would not have been possible.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

We have to photo doc all work completed for the gooberment so i have lots of pics. The cut of an Encore is in line with any high end mower.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2011, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
I am having a debate with a friend who is a die hard walker person. While i think they are a fine machine if your having to bag clippings i demo'ed one last summer at the dealer and found it cumbersome and uncomfortable to operate. I am partial to a Grasshopper 928D 72" but currently mow with an Encore FZ48 Front Mount as i got a screaming deal last spring on it as a leftover 09. Both the Grasshopper and the Encore have an operator platform for your feet to ride on and you can sit back with your arms on the armrests in a relaxed position while on the Walker you have to ride more upright and your left arm is resting on your leg while your right arm is hanging over the armrest on the speed control. Your feet also ride on the deck so you feel every bump and jar the small deck wheels hit. The bouncing around of my feet on the deck was my biggest turnoff by far. On a golfcourse lawn i suppose it wouldn't matter much. Does it cost that much more to put a foot platform on a Walker? They are DAMN spendy the way it is!

You're such a hater Walter.

Either my feet are nerve dead or you have super sensitive nerves.
I sure don't feel what you are talking about.
And yes I mow yards that ARE NOT golf courses.