Register free!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like air gaps, but I seem to recall you're not a fan of on-demand pumping systems?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
How would you set it up?

Here is the whole gig... which I did not want to get into to confuse everything.

Origonally this well was meant to feed one house. Now this well is supplying multiple houses and a irrigation system. The approx 15 gpm is not cutting it from the well. The well is very deep, and is not in danger of going dry. The pump is 280' deep and is estimated to be in at least 80-90 ft. of water.

There will be two side by side storage tanks, one for drinking and one for irrigation. This is why I cannot use a simple float shut off because then the other tank might not get filled. These two tanks will be set up about 50' from the pressure operated well pump.

I have a 200amp service about 20' away so the power options are vertually limitless in this situation.

This is how I will set it up:

- Well to 5000gal and 2500gal storage tanks, with a flow reduction to the irrigation tank so that the drinking supply will be able to refill faster.

- Irrigation storage==>Ball Valve (to hold pressure)==>Pump==>Pressure Switch==>Pressure Tank==> Irrigation System

The irrigation tank will not be pressurized as an added measure to insure drinking water quality. That way there will be an air gap in the tank.

This is where I remind everyone that I am dyslexic... so ignore spelling.
Of course you can use float valves, one for each tank. Not a float SWITCH, a float VALVE. I have a customer with 4 water features all fed from the same well and all of them have float valves installed to keep them full. Works perfectly. You're making this way harder than it needs to be.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't have a float switch/valve, then you would have a pressure transducer/sensor ~ a means of electrically 'knowing' when the irrigation storage is filled

a pressure-sustaining valve upstream of the tank might cover your needs - with an air break, you don't need any other isolation for the sprinkler system
Old 10-10-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Where can I find a 110v solenoid? Can I fit them to a normal hunter/rainbird valve or are they threaded differently?
Why do you need one? What is wrong with using an actuated ball valve?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Of course you can use float valves, one for each tank. Not a float SWITCH, a float VALVE. I have a customer with 4 water features all fed from the same well and all of them have float valves installed to keep them full. Works perfectly. You're making this way harder than it needs to be.
How reliable are the float valves? I know what they are, but I woud rather something fail closed than open. A solenoid would fail closed and a float valve would fail open much like a leaking toilet.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had them in service outdoors for years and haven't had any problems with them. Everything needs maintenance periodically though, check it every once in a while, re-adjust as needed and you should be fine.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Maybe put float valves in both tanks, then put a pressure switch on the line feeding the float valves? That way, if they are both closed, pump shuts down. If one opens, pump starts up.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Where can I find a 110v solenoid? Can I fit them to a normal hunter/rainbird valve or are they threaded differently?
R-Co makes them. Longhorn, Sheeping, or any other major supplier should carry them.
The ones I use work on Irritrol valves.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
..........i agree
Old 10-11-2011, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

These are typically the type of float valves I see inside of storage tanks:
http://www.watts.com/pages/_products...ls.asp?pid=588