Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Novice edger question

I have always used my trimmer to edge along driveway, street, etc. I am going to get an Echo stick edger... but a silly question... how do you keep from having the blade hit the hard surface? ie. if you are edging a paver walkway, how do you keep it from hitting the pavers and chipping a paver or breaking a blade?

Also, my paver walkway was installed with the plastic retaining edging too high... it is almost at the same height as the paver in some places... will that cause a problem edging it?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The direction you work has a lot to do with not hitting the hard edges. Not familiar with those edgers. Working with the sidewalk or pavers to the left side (Operator standing on the grass) is generally the recommended position. Mine has wheels. Bury the blade to the desired depth and move slowly. Don't swing like a weed eater. Moving slowly and listening and feeling the soil is just prefect practice--not practice but perfect practice makes it permanent.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I edge against my concrete sidewalk with a straight shaft Stihl stick edger, and intentionally keep the blade in light contact with the concrete. I get a better cut that way, and I figure blades are cheap. I've seen sparks, but never chipped the concrete, and pavers are made from a harder concrete than poured sidewalk (not that I'm suggesting making contact with the pavers).

There are a few places where I run along clay bricks, and there, I try not to make contact. It's really pretty easy to stay in a perfect line, once you get the hang of it.

I'm not sure about the "operator standing on the grass" thing though.
If I have the pavement on the left, grass on the right (which is how I usually keep it, because the depth guide wheels are on the left, and they cut a straighter path with the wheels on the pavement side), I'm standing on the pavement (because I stand on the left of the stick).

The trick, is cutting the first time. You need to get the blade spinning fast, slowly lower it into the slot, and slowly move forward. You must trust your reflexes to align the blade with where it belongs, without actually being able to see what it's doing (kind of like using a right handed circular saw). You cannot start the blade after aligning the machine, because it will bounce a lot (which is how you can chip concrete).
If you have trouble the first time, you may want to find someone with a walk behind edger to do the first cut.
After cutting the first time of the season, the blade will kind of follow the groove each consecutive week, and it's real easy to go at a walking pace.