Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2011, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Help in new mower purchase

For starters i am full time, insured, tax paying, legit business before someone re-directs the thread that way.

I am in the market for a new mower. This mower will be for nicer homes and properties. Front yard mower with the ability to also keep up on a bigger property say like a 3 acre church. I have a walker but it has 3400 hours on it and i really don't want to go back with it because i don't have to have the means of collection and if I have to collect i can pull it out. So saying all that Walker is not an option. Pretty sure i want it to be floating deck and i think 60 inch deck is just to big for neighborhood homes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2011, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How many customers have fences?

Of those how many have what size gate?

I would move up to 54" or 60" because I can still use them on my smallest yard, 7,126 sf lot. Also because time is money. And I won't want to waste time doing a 3 acre church with anything smaller.

Most people when putting in fences are now going with 5' gates. Now to allow clearance for the 5" gate I assume the opening is about 1" wider so a 60" would fit through the gate. Someone may be able to answer that later on.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fences are not a problem. Also in regard to the church it will only be working the areas right up close to the church and drives to give the really manicured look. I guess i should have said that in my post. My zd326 60 inch takes care of the bigger wide open properties.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2011, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

can it be a walkbehind....if so I recommend Exmark Turf Tracer
Old 10-11-2011, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How about a z beast? Encore? Big dog? They all are suppose to be cheap. It will help your over head
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
can it be a walkbehind....if so I recommend Exmark Turf Tracer
Why walk behind? Why not a stander and be done with it? If he mounts a sulky hell be standing anyway. A stander is more comfortable than any old sulky
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Get a 60 Z turn and get a diesel. You will be surprised how many places you can fit into once you get the hang of a 60 Z turn. Diesel is the only way to go. It doesn't weigh as much more as people complain. ZD 326 weighs 1700 lbs (taken from Kubota's website) and for comparison John Deere Z930A 29 HP Kawi 60 inch deck weighs 1408 lb. (taken from John Deere website). what is 300 lb when you gain lots of power, fuel economy, and longevity. Kubota is what I run and it is bullet proof. Buy the machine that feels the best from the dealer with the best support though.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Want ztr, want float deck. Would like to have ztr, just thinking a stander would not be comfortable after a while. so I am not throwin a scag v ride out the door but just how comfortable is it after 4 hours of mowing
I amm currently running the Walker and my ZD 326. Want to get away from the Walker as it is getting unreliable but I want to achieve excellent finish cut. A half acre lawn with a 5,000 sq ft home on it has no business with a zd326 which weighs 1700 in it, especially in the front yards Throw in u or v shape ditches with no curb and there's only so many ways the zd can move around and it's just too much for those too and will end up rutting and that is unacceptable

Sorry I mentioned 60 inch deck in my op but didn't say what type it is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What about something like a Deere Z710/48", or since you are already running the Kubby, a ZG222 48", or ZD221/48"?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The exmark vantage has a very comfortable ride--frankly I dont think a Z or a stander can deliver the cut of a walker style machine. walkbehind maybe