Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2011, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Living in Luxury

The following was a project completed by E.Kost Construction in the summer of 2009. A company established in the 60ís, E.Kost Construction is a company which offers services in the property management/development and landscaping industries. A true family owned business which spans 3 generations this project is a true tribute to luxury and success. Under the management of Matthew Kostruba (age 20) a 3rd year student at Mcmaster University and director at E.Kost Construction, this project was a true challenge and one that we are proud of. The project involved all forms of landscaping from the installation of french drains, extravagant gardens, sodding, tree planting, as well as hardscaping. The budget for the project well over exceeded the $100 000 mark and is a great addition to the newly renovated house sitting on the 2 acre property. Further with the many different arrays of out door sitting and entertaining areas the project allows for multi-seasonal enjoyment of this outdoor landscape. The four pictures are of the three main spaces on the property including the French garden, general backyard area, as well as the side yard for the enjoyment of arriving guests while it was under construction. The last picture is simply of the blank slate of the backyard from which we started (picture taken in the winter months prior to the commencement of the project)

Having only expanded into the landscape industry in 2006 under the watchful eye of Matthew Kostruba and Michael Tchoryk the company is looking to expand and grow our areas of service. The addition of new equipment is one of the many barriers that our growing division is facing, and we are currently in the market for new skid steer loaders. The four pictures posted above only give a small taste of the scale of the project and there are more available on our website for the viewerís enjoyment at www.ekostconstruction.ca

Thank You for reading and we appreciate your vote.
Matthew Kostruba
E.Kost Construction
Old 05-07-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Life's A Beach!

This project was completed last summer by the fourth of July. It took 4 weeks to complete due to the constant rain we've been experiencing around here for the last 4 years.

The owners were having problems with their sand washing back into the pond after each heavy rain. The idea was to help contain the sand and to dress up their pond to make the area more enjoyable during the summer.

An Arizona sandstone was used for the flagstone path as it was safer and more comfortable to walk on with bare feet.

About 7 tons of material was used between the wall, the walkway and the custom built fire-pit. Along with the hardscaping, some accent lighting was installed in the exposed sections of the wall to help light the beach at night.

Full photo album is in this link. Beach

Enjoy!

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Paver Patio!

These pictures are of a patio and retaining wall I built (First one ever!). The patio was approx 19' x 33'. The patio was all brick pavers. This took me roughly 100 man hours (did it by myself). Had approx 20 tons of base stone and sand. Roughly 400 bricks for patio and wall. Their is also a drain alongside the patio. I didn't get any pictures taken before the customer put her furniture out there, she was excited and couldn't wait for me to finish. Here is a link to a thread of more pics. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8.127821609102
Thanks and I would appreciate your vote!
Attached Images

Exmark Metro 36"
CubCadet 21"
Stihl KM110R Trimmer (Kombi)
Stihl FS45 Trimmer
Stihl BG86 Blower/Vac
Stihl Hedge Trimmers
(2) Stihl Chainsaws
Old 06-25-2011, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Complete Home Remodel

This is one of more challenging hardscape projects we've ever built The home was going through a complete remodel and originally had turf all the way up to the sides of the home. The new owner wanted lots of entertainment space but there was a catch... the area to the left of the house (pictured) was the only access to his lake... property line on the other side didn't have enough room to allow. So this is what we came up with. Hauled in 150yds of soil to level out turf area, 25 triaxle loads of boulders and 5000' of irrigation piping all had to go in before the project was finished. Of course to make matters worse it was middle of summer and HOT.

heres the final pics. Also notice the tile inset in the fireplace- courtesy of my sister-in-law
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Natural Integrity Design/Build

I recently started my own company, although I've been in the landscape industry for almost 18 years, and I was fortunate enough to stumble upon this pretty large job for one of my first. The job was a waterfront property in an exclusive section of a local town. It consisted of 700 +/- plants, 100 cubic yards of mulch and 32,000 sf of sod.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Preston Lawnscapes

My job was fairly small although it killed my body after it was completed.

I moved 16 tons of #3 river rock via shovel/wheel barrow up hill... probably made at least 150 trips over 15 man hours to complete. The challenge was filling the wheel barrow with enough stone to minimize trips but not so much that I couldn't muscle it up the hill. I guess I should have rented a walk behind compact loader!
Attached Images

2014 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 4x4 Dump
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500
2013 7x16 Big Tex
2010 6x10 Big Tex
Buyers 2YD Poly Spreader
52" Scag Cheetah
48" Exmark Turf Tracer
48" Exmark Viking
18HP Little Wonder Vac
Toro Snowblowers
Stihl Handhelds

www.prestonlawnscapes.com

My work - http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351577&page=13
Old 08-20-2011, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Backyard Paradise

This is a total backyard paradise makeover. We removed all of the old decking & landscape to install all new...

Custom designed Pergola includes
*Built in all-weather IPOD dock with outdoor speakers.
*Soffit Lighting

Custom designed built-in Grill Station
*Natural Gas & charcoal grill tops.
*Built-In refrigerator.
*Bull-nose counter tops.

Completely Custom designed ONE OF A KIND Water Feature & Natural Gas Firepit.

Streamlined Pondless Waterfall

To top that off - Over 1,000 Sq. Ft. of pavers, new landscape plantings & landscape lighting.

In order to truly appreciate this project, the before pictures are a 'must see'.

One of the biggest challenges of this project was access. Over 40 tons of base material & approx. 20 skids of block, all brought in by hand/wheelbarrow.

The second biggest challenge was that everything in this project was 100% custom. From the Pergola to grill station to the fire pit, majority of it had to be designed & built as we progressed. We had a master idea/concept of what we wanted to achieve. However, there was no master blueprint to follow because of the customization of everything.

All-in-all the end product & overall look far exceeded the customers expectations.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Brown Residence

This large residential project was exciting, challenging and rewarding. There were numerous crews and different trades working at the same time with the same deadline. It was difficult at times to stay out of each other's way and to work in harmony. We worked around mature trees, gas and electric lines, a septic field and the weather. On days we had access to the entire site, we sent 6 crews (27 men) to help us meet the completion date. Each crew was assigned a portion of the project to avoid confusion.

We didn't have a lot of room to store material, due to limited parking and access. Coordination of the crews, equipment and deliveries was crucial. We had to plant in sections in order to keep the material watered until the irrigation system was completed.

Plant material installed included 127 trees, 803 shrubs, 5,066 perennials and 328 flats of ground cover.

Hardscape installed included 11,114 square feet of pavers, 6,380 square feet of asphalt, 500 square feet of veneer, 635 face square feet of retaining walls, 52 face square feet seat wall, 145 face square feet of stairs, a 2,250 square feet sunken patio and 30 tons of outcropping stone.

Bulk material included 735 cubic yards top soil/compost mix and 80 cubic yards of shredded hardwood bark mulch. Over 300 cubic yards of debris was hauled off the site.

This project was completed in nine months and showcases our ability to design and manage large projects, coordinate multiple trades, while still focusing on attention to detail and exceeding our client's expectations.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Remote control racetrack

I have constructed from the ground up a remote control car race track. The track is 140 ft deep and 185 ft wide with over 15 ft tall elevation changes. I build tracks for lots of different clients and I am always borrowing a skid steer. I own and operate a indoor and outdoor Remote control racetrack and hobby shop. You can see video of this track in action by searching youtube for RaceWorld Raceway.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2011, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

A Grand Entrance

We were selected to design and construct a dramatic entrance water feature to greet guests at a private estate.

This project was challenging but rewarding.

Some of the challenges included:
    • Creating a natural hill side for our water falls to start from.
    • Hauling in over 140 yards of soil to create a berm.
    • Altering an existing brick entry wall to construct the water falls.
    • Supplying power and water to the water feature. Which involved 500' of trenching and 3 under driveway crossings.
    • Designing a 1500 Gallon water reservoir and rain water harvest storage tank for the pondless waterfall and future irrigation.
    • The Reservoir had to be custom designed to fit between several underground utility lines.
    • Placing over 36,000 lbs of boulders around an existing structure.
    • Installing 150' of (2) 4" plumbing lines and (2) 12,000 GPH Pumps

The end result is breath taking. 24,000 Gallons of water per hour pour over rugged waterfalls and down twin mountain streams!

We installed custom energy efficient LED Lighting which turns the waterfalls into a nighttime attraction.

Tons of plantings surround the water feature and create a lush and welcoming environment.
Attached Images