Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2011, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another avenue for advertising

Hey what's up guys...rain all morning stop and go..so I have some time to do some office stuff...I was in contact with a company that sells ads on the local ferries here that go to NYC..they have lcd TV's all over the boats..they carry most people earning at least 650k a year into the city for work and what not...for $2500 I can get I think 7 weeks from next week till mid Dec....anyone ever do anything like this?..this would be a chunk of the money I wanted to spend on advertising this year..I would scale back the Postcards to balance everything out...cheers..also service master calls ..out of 4-5 have been tire kickers so far..following up with a couple later today and see what's up..thanks for the advice
Old 10-12-2011, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How often will your add run? I'm assuming the LCD's scroll through a bunch of different adds all day. One good thing is you're getting your name out to alot of businessmen/women who probably fit into the demographics of what you are looking for. After a few days of seeing your add they might think about it, if they think about it at all when in their yard they wont have to think hard about who you are, they can just check the ad on monday morning. I would just be leary about putting all of my eggs in one basket
Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree..almost half of my eggs..lol...I think he said they would run my add 9-11 times per 40 min trip or something like that it averages out too....it's a big commute in the am and pm..and folks going back and forth to nyc and nj for the weekend...
Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My only concern would be your hitting the same limited amount of people every day, its a captive audience, but its the same captive audience everytime. Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just spoke with the rep...it's hitting the right kind of people for sure...in the areas where I wanted to hit w/ postcards...I may end up doing 4-5 weeks..starting the week of oct30th-the first week of Dec...and he said if there is extra room on it he will run it for extra time..and I could get a better price..1g less..I am on the fence....one decent job would pay for it..
Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNNJ View Post
I just spoke with the rep...it's hitting the right kind of people for sure...in the areas where I wanted to hit w/ postcards...I may end up doing 4-5 weeks..starting the week of oct30th-the first week of Dec...and he said if there is extra room on it he will run it for extra time..and I could get a better price..1g less..I am on the fence....one decent job would pay for it..
I would be on the fence also, because of the one job will pay for it thought, heck if you are hitting the right clientele, and I cant imagine your not, one job and it will more than pay for itself...

I really can't help you one way or the other because I wouldn't know what to do either.

How do they come up with the ad piece? Do you provide it for them or do they put it together as part of the cost?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Either they can put something together or I can have it done..A friend of mine is a graphic designer so he can help me out..they said put together a basic add ..logo, number ..little blurb about it..then add like 4 pictures to rotate through...it's a 30sec. spot that gets about 10 runs per trip...i'll sleep on it or so..
Old 10-12-2011, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking I would give it a try
Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I tend to experiment with one new marketing idea each season, so I would treat this as an experiment. but I would still go heavier with what works, yard signs, postcards, referrals.

just my 2 cents.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I may cut the weeks back to test the waters..and do the post cards heavier...anyone do the .14 post office deal yet?..I should be getting my go ahead any day now...