Register free!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you do repairs when you winterize ?

We dont unless its absolutly necessary to get the blow out done , and then if its time consuming we reschedule. Customers are under the misconseption that they will save a service call charge if we repair while we are there .
We generally make up a work order for the spring and repair at the spring turn on.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If there is a possibility of water getting back in the pipes, then yes, absolutely.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never, ever; you got too much overhead going on to screw around with repairs. You've an employee, you (most cases I supervised winterize) truck, compressor, you're on a schedule with all you need to winterize, period. I used a different truck to tow the compressor that had zero parts on board. A accurate zone chart problem list was taken and we dealt with any problems over the winter or springtime.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Only if the the problem is going to cause more problems. A large mainline break will make a large mess when you throw the air to it and a large mainline break will also fill up with mud, rocks and debris over the winter.

A main shut off valve, well that is an obvious one. Otherwise, why fix something that has a chance of getting broken again over the winter. Even if the controller is down, we will do blow the valves manually or with a actuator.

Blow outs for us are all about speed along with a quality service. It is the last cash cow of the year.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If something ever breaks/pops off from me winterizing I always repair it.

If it was already broken then I usually just notate it down on the invoice and recommend a spring tune up.

If it's a quick 30 second fix like one broken nozzle on a 4 zone system.. Sometimes I'll fix it..

A main line break .. yeah that needs to be fixed

Today I had a cracked Mipt prior to the back flow assembly which I had to repair before I winterized.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI View Post
Blow outs for us are all about speed along with a quality service. It is the last cash cow of the year.
Agreed, speed is the whole meal deal when winterizing. I never once thought about any kind of repair during winterize except having it noted, put on the board, and dealt with as needed (cash-flow-wise).

Last edited by Mike Leary; 10-12-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: mitch is a employee, he loses the boss money doing repairs when winterizing.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mitch charged extra for the repair.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

as the OP stated , its always the cheapos that want repairs done now. A lot of times telling them everything is date coded and the warrenty will be 1/2 over by the time they will use , they change their mind.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We will do occasional small repairs - missing nozzle, drip emitter, cut in drip pipe, bonnet/poppet, etc. No valve or head replacement, or major leak repairs. We tack on additional labor charges, no matter if the blow out takes 10 minutes. But I prefer to do it in the spring. We do note any problems on the invoice.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We NEVER do a repair during blowouts. If a system has severe enough damage to hamper the blow out, we'll come back AFTER everyone is done, do the repair and blow out the system then. The customer will get tagged the cost of renting a compressor for the blow out after the repair as well as for the repair.