Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-13-2011, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

1st Commercial bid... NEED HELP!!

I am bidding a job at a dollar general and want to know how I should bid it. Tell me what I should bid it and how I should email them the bid.
I took pictures of the property. I just don't wanna bid it to low or to high.

Thanks

Here is a link to pics i took. I have an aerial view

http://photobucket.com/Dollargeneral
Old 10-13-2011, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What services will you be providing? Mowing, mulching........
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 10-14-2011, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Most DG pay between $30-$40 per visit. Almost impossible get them higher than that, regardless of lot size.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you bidding on this job?

Look at it's current condition. Obviously Dollar General isn't paying much right now, otherwise the current landscaper would be doing a better job. If the current landscaper stopped showing up, why did he stop?

9 times out of 10, he stopped showing up because it wasn't worth his time.

Wouldn't you rather have a residential job where you make money AND the property looks good instead of some "commercial" job where you make close to zero money AND it looks horrible?

I don't mean to pee in your cereal, but just because it's a "commercial" site doesn't mean you want that job on your books...

That being said, I would bid $300 a month for mowing with no mulch, seasonal color, fertilizer. If they want it, they can special request it.

FYI, when you ask a question like this on a forum, you need a scope of work for us to look at so that we can be better informed when we try to help you.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

After looking at all the pics, $375 per month 43mowings/year or $300 per month for 23/visits

Last edited by FoghornLeghorn; 10-14-2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: a chicken bit me
Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

First, you need to know your costs per hour...then figure how much net you need to pull as well....then figure out how long it will take you....since everyones overhead is different its really a tough question to answer....good luck hope you get it and make some $$
Old 10-14-2011, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm just going to cut it and keep hedges trimmed. No mulch nothing. I just have me and another guy. I only have to pay for gas in truck mower and line for weedeater. Everything I have is paid for.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the dollar generals here don't even have grass around them or at least not much at all...that one has alot
Old 10-14-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSodfathers View Post
I'm just going to cut it and keep hedges trimmed. No mulch nothing. I just have me and another guy. I only have to pay for gas in truck mower and line for weedeater. Everything I have is paid for.
What about insurance, employee cost, equipment upkeep, advertising, and business permits? You need to operate like a business man, if not just work for someone else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2011, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSodfathers View Post
When I see people approach business and bids in this manner, it drives me insane.

You pay for gas in your truck, wear and tear, auto insurance, liability insurance, workman's comp, fuel for your mowers, weedeater string, sparkplugs, mower blades, uniforms, steel-toe boots, ear muffs, leather gloves, weedeater replacement, occasional flat tire on your truck, then heaven forbid you have some profit left over to take your wife out for a nice dinner.

Everything you have is paid for? What about when the day comes that you need to replace the equipment and the truck that you've run into the ground? That's the difference between a pro and a hack. Hacks charge $2700 for a $4000 job and think they're making a killing because the labor only costs them $1200 for the job, but then they're screwed when things break and need to be replaced.

Do you really want to be that landscaper who takes any work he can get regardless of the price, driving a janked up truck and wearing torn up clothes?

My advice is to get your head in the game the right way. Otherwise, you're screwing yourself and the rest of us in the industry out of the chance to make a decent living...