Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2002, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

blacktop or concrete?

I am planning to build a building for storage of lawn care equipment,trailer,couple of quads and dirt bikes and to use as my workshop.It will be approx. 35'X45'with regular 2X4 wall construction,finished with siding.I had looked at concrete,but was told blacktop was much cheaper.Will blacktop be able to support this structure.Are concrete pilings still needed?how thick should the asphalt be laid?Thanks for any help.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like your gonna build your walls on top of the asphalt. Why not look into a perka building www.perka.com This building you can use sonno tubes to suport your frames and al your perlins and side wall support are wood.then pour a concrete floor.Asphalt wood be cheaper than concrete for your floor but conrete would be better support and if you put plastic under it it will keep moisture from comming up from the ground.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

DO NOT build this building on an asphalt foundation. Asphalt is not suitable as a foundation for a structure. You could construct a pier foundation as cat320 mentioned, or build a grade beam of concrete around the perimiter to set the walls on. Asphalt is not rigid and will "creep" and flex over time.
Don't try to save money on a foundation. It will cause you problems that will be expensive to fix later on.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

put in a concrete foundation and forget about it, dont even think about blacktop
Old 11-11-2002, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto!

Like the other guys said...I definetly wouldn't use the asphalt as a foundation. It won't hold up, no matter how good its layed.

IF you choose to save money and go with an asphalt FLOOR....(not foundation wall) you should use concrete around (like a footer) to hold up the structure.

Our shop here has an asphalt floor (it was built for a storage hanger, but we ended up using it) I don't like the idea.

....when the oil, gas, diesel, etc spills on it, it eats away the asphalt. Its also a very soft material compared to concrete and things sink down into it over time.

If your going to use it for the floor though, I would go at least 3" (after compaction) probobly in 2 lifts.

Good Luck!
Old 11-12-2002, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

These guys are right nothing can beat the strength of concrete and the only thing approved by the building dept if your going todo this the legal way. The problem with blacktop is it does move and shift you will have sinking all over and if you got machines that are drippers you will end up with soft spots.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

never use blacktop for a floor in a garage,

1. fuel and oil will eat it up .cant work 0n nothing

2.not strong, enough equipment will sink , heck on a hot day a lawn chair well sink with no one in it .

3.it would cost just as much as concrete , be cause it would be all hand work in side buildings.
they cant get machines or dumps in there so is not going to be any cheaper.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Blacktop...sucks

I am about to replace my black top driveway since I can't manuver my lawn equipment on it with out tearing it up... $3900 for concrete......

Derek
Old 07-18-2003, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Concrete.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 07-23-2003, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Concrete for both foundation & building's floor. Blacktop will not hold up under heavy use.