Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

grass seed soil prep

Several different soil preparations were used to plant grass seed in a non-irrigated, poor, bare soil condition.

Seed sown was Scotts "Classic" which contains rye, blue and fine fescue. Sown on Sept 5, 2011. A non-phosphorus fertilizer was included as noted.

The thickest stand was where 4 times the usual amount of seed was used, twice the usual amount of fertilizer, and the seed was raked in.

The poorest result was just to the right where the seed plus fert was not raked-in.

In second best place, on the strip to the left was seed, plus fert, raked-in, plus mulched with grass clippings.

In third place was 3 times the usual seed, plus fert, not raked-in.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2011, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that is about right. I put down 500 lbs of 35% FF, 30% KB and 30% RG in a 1/2 acre...watered and rolled..coming up put slow.

Will put up another 250 in now and another 300 in Feb...Sorry, I get free seed since it is mixed by railcar...
Old 10-14-2011, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep practicing...I wouldn't be happy if I paid you to do that on my lawn, lol.

I think the 4 times is too much...too dense and will choke itself out.

Interesting experiment though. I do fine with the recommended amount of seed and fert likely raked in and then straw on top.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lets keep it real simple!

All you need is SEED TO SOIL CONTACT and WATER!!!!

Nothing else matters!

There are a million ways to seed and although some ways are better then others...they all work if you can get the seed into the soil and water it!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

so agree - soil to seed contact! So do you obtain that by aerating and seeding or seeding then aerating? then raking in?

I've done a few checks on some of the lawns that i aerated in early September and have noticed that i'm getting better germination from the lawns that were aerated then seeded then aerated once more while raking it in. ( i did two passes with the z plugger then seeded, came back with the z plugger and aerated one more pass with the mat being pulled behind the z busting up the cores). I cannot make a clear conclusion what is better because I have not controlled the irrigation on any of the lawns. But overall the ones that were plugged, seeded then plugged / raked again are much further ahead.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of yall dethatch when you aerify. I aerified seeded then dethatch with a dethatcher.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superintendent View Post
Do any of yall dethatch when you aerify. I aerified seeded then dethatch with a dethatcher.
we see a lot of necrotic ring spot and various turf disease here in the valley. My method is to bring a small mechanical lawn rake and de-thatch the nasty area's. Aerate. Compost. Seed. Light rake. Roll. (maybe fungicide usually 3336g)

I think using the rake was key in your experiment and not so much the fertilizing.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLTS View Post
so agree - soil to seed contact! So do you obtain that by aerating and seeding or seeding then aerating? then raking in?

I've done a few checks on some of the lawns that i aerated in early September and have noticed that i'm getting better germination from the lawns that were aerated then seeded then aerated once more while raking it in. ( i did two passes with the z plugger then seeded, came back with the z plugger and aerated one more pass with the mat being pulled behind the z busting up the cores). I cannot make a clear conclusion what is better because I have not controlled the irrigation on any of the lawns. But overall the ones that were plugged, seeded then plugged / raked again are much further ahead.
We don't do a lot of core seeding as we typically slice, but it just depends on the lawn.

When we do aerate and overseed we ALWAYS go over the lawn atleast two times and the thinner areas we will even hit a third time then we seed.