Register free!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brown Patch

Anyone seeing any? Have 15 yards loaded with it so far this year.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

brown spots to

hey doug I am having same problem round 10-20 are doing its pissing me off dont know what to do does anyone have any advice
Old 10-14-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heavy rains this year have given me fits with Gray Leaf spot. Normally I can fertilizer and out grow Gray Leave spot. But this year I had to treat with Fungicide earlier than normal. That Gray Leave Spot cure was also a preventive Brown patch treatment.

Brown patch used to be called Winter patch and is now called Large Patch. But let us call it Fall patch because that is when is cause problems. Rhizoctonia solani is the Microbial that causes Brown Patch. It is a soil Borne microbial and present year round. But in summer with Air temperature being 90 degrees the Grass temperature is 130 and too hot for Brown patch. As fall comes cooler temperature and short days, Brown Patch becomes active.

Keep records because you will have Brown patch in the same spot year after year. Knowing where these spots are allows you the Pretreat with a preventative.

Part of the reason for a 3 year apprenticeship before the Certification test is learning the life Cycles of Insects and disease first hand and learning to Prevent damage.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It is on several of my properties - especially ones in which had a large common swell before waterfront that were resodding in the common area this spring- they all have severe outbreaks. I have one lawn which is spec and has been all year....that is getting nailed right now....looks horrible.

Ric Pro-Mo and I were discussing this on one of these properties and if I understood him correctly there is a point in which it becomes too cool for it to be active also is that correct? At that time would it be better to pretreat with a preventative again as the temp will pass those ranges you mentioned on the way back up.
And besides treating with a preventative ahead of time, ensuring any break out is treated with fungicide labeled for curative of Brown Patch and not trying to grow it out as you would GLS as the N can actually create a more favorable environment. Are there any other actions that need to be taken?
Is moisture a concern with BP and should it be limited? I am assuming it would be a concern but am not sure, i think Pro-Mo addressed moisture with the HO, but am not sure if it is just because they are a over watering HO anyway or if it was to help aid the recovery of the outbreak.

Anything you can share I am sure would be appreciated by all here as it is hitting CFL hard right now. .

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
It is on several of my properties - especially ones in which had a large common swell before waterfront that were resodding in the common area this spring- they all have severe outbreaks. I have one lawn which is spec and has been all year....that is getting nailed right now....looks horrible.

Ric Pro-Mo and I were discussing this on one of these properties and if I understood him correctly there is a point in which it becomes too cool for it to be active also is that correct? At that time would it be better to pretreat with a preventative again as the temp will pass those ranges you mentioned on the way back up.
And besides treating with a preventative ahead of time, ensuring any break out is treated with fungicide labeled for curative of Brown Patch and not trying to grow it out as you would GLS as the N can actually create a more favorable environment. Are there any other actions that need to be taken?
Is moisture a concern with BP and should it be limited? I am assuming it would be a concern but am not sure, i think Pro-Mo addressed moisture with the HO, but am not sure if it is just because they are a over watering HO anyway or if it was to help aid the recovery of the outbreak.

Anything you can share I am sure would be appreciated by all here as it is hitting CFL hard right now. .
Mike

Bryan (Promo) is correct about Microbes in the Genus of Rhizoctonia being heat sensitive to both Hot and Cold. They are soil borne and present every where. However they must have the right environment to express themselves. As a Microbiology Professor used to pound in our heads. ""Everything is everywhere but the environment selects"" My attempt to re-name the Disease Fall Patch was because that is the Time of Year it is most active. Spring temperature are the same but that is also our dry season. Therefore the Environment is not correct in the spring. However knowing the right environment for each pests sure helps on strange weather years.

Fall is the real PITA time of the year for Fert & Squirt guys. Between Grubs, Brown patch and cooler temperatures for weed control this is the time of the year that tells on the Novice. Add in Snow bird come back and this is the time of year to pick or Loose accounts big time because of your quality of work. Case in point is a guy who sold out to a Novice and stayed on as CPO for him. The kid is dropping accounts like crazy right now.

As for treatment I have found "LI 700" helps Fungicide do it's job quicker. But Disease takes longer to rebound than Insects. I always tell mt customer it will Get Worse before it gets better. This of course is why preventive is better for both the Customer and the Environment as well as IPM. That is I Pay for Materials. It takes less chemicals to prevent than to Cure.

Everyone thinks they can treat lawns. But St Augustine isn't the any slop will work crap like Bluegrass. It takes an educated eye and timing that only comes from experience. You and I can look at the same lawn and see totally different things.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For Grey Leaf Spot we used a granular fungicide, but are trying a liquid fungicide for the Brown (Fall) Patch. Since all my experience is from Southern Indiana I never dealt with St. Aug before. I can honestly say that so far I hate it. It seems to be susceptible to everything. Why would anyone want St. Aug...

Old 10-15-2011, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
For Grey Leaf Spot we used a granular fungicide, but are trying a liquid fungicide for the Brown (Fall) Patch. Since all my experience is from Southern Indiana I never dealt with St. Aug before. I can honestly say that so far I hate it. It seems to be susceptible to everything. Why would anyone want St. Aug...
Doug

Since most of my experience has been on warm season turf, It is only recently I realized how EASY cool Season turf can be. Just about any homeowner can take care of Cool season turf.

Being from Indiana I hope you realize why Florida requires 3 years experience working under a CPO licensed company to sit for the L&O CPO test. Not just anyone can pass that test even after 3 years. Of course it is illegal to treat turf other than your own yard without a CPO and License.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Doug

Since most of my experience has been on warm season turf, It is only recently I realized how EASY cool Season turf can be. Just about any homeowner can take care of Cool season turf.

Being from Indiana I hope you realize why Florida requires 3 years experience working under a CPO licensed company to sit for the L&O CPO test. Not just anyone can pass that test even after 3 years. Of course it is illegal to treat turf other than your own yard without a CPO and License.
Oh I do. I have 8 years of experience, was a DOD Certified Applicator, and have many months of training with the Air Force to do this work. I can honestly say it really doesn't do much good. Mixing, applying and even selecting chemicals are pretty standard no matter where you are, but diagnosing, identifying, and timing treatments are very different depending on location. I felt lost here at first, but am learning. I would imagine the same would be true for anyone here moving to Indiana. Different turf, different weeds, different seasons etc. I'm not sure 3 years is really long enough. I worked in Alaska for 3 years, talk about different world. Nothing like Indiana or Florida.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ric is right large patch will occur it the same spots year after year. good record keeping will allow for preventative apps, which could save $ and customers. preventative is usually the low rate curative the higher rate.
heritage is an excellant product, but is a litle pricey. it is sold as a granular and as a soluble to be sprayed.
heritage is a Azoxystrobin another product in the strobin family is armada
Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I know I am 150 miles from the Fla-Ga border here in SC but one item you guys have forgotten and works awesome for me and that is to cut off the irrigation totally and that helps with the control of brown patch and you still have to spray it with fungicide but in my experience by either turning off or drastically reducing the irrigation helps in the control of brown patch. Yes you guys are right its a total ***** this time of year and goes all winter for me here.