Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-15-2011, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Quest for a Better Ride

I was talking to my dealer yesterday, and he showed me a new option available through Scag for their mowers, caster wheels with coil springs as spokes to absorb shock with the no-flat tires. Coincidentally, I got an email from someone last night with pictures of prototype auto tires made by Michelin that have no air in them. In place of sidewalls, there are flexible spacers every couple of inches which give with pressure, just like regular tires. Now, I can see where this technology might eventually see its way into the mower market. A true no-flat tire that rides as good, or better, than an inflatable.

Along the same lines, he told me that Gravely was going to introduce a new mower for 2012, with a model number designation of either 300 or 400, which is going to be substantially heavier built than the current 200 series of mowers. I believe he said it will be a Pro-Turn, but it is possible he said Pro-Ride. And, get this, he said it is supposed to offer a true air-ride seat! I've been wondering for years why someone hasn't done this. Maybe now it is actually going to happen.

About the time I get too old to mow, they will get all this stuff figured out.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I was talking to my dealer yesterday, and he showed me a new option available through Scag for their mowers, caster wheels with coil springs as spokes to absorb shock with the no-flat tires. Coincidentally, I got an email from someone last night with pictures of prototype auto tires made by Michelin that have no air in them. In place of sidewalls, there are flexible spacers every couple of inches which give with pressure, just like regular tires. Now, I can see where this technology might eventually see its way into the mower market. A true no-flat tire that rides as good, or better, than an inflatable.

Along the same lines, he told me that Gravely was going to introduce a new mower for 2012, with a model number designation of either 300 or 400, which is going to be substantially heavier built than the current 200 series of mowers. I believe he said it will be a Pro-Turn, but it is possible he said Pro-Ride. And, get this, he said it is supposed to offer a true air-ride seat! I've been wondering for years why someone hasn't done this. Maybe now it is actually going to happen.

Whats to old
My DC has a air ride seat and spring forks its like a caddy ride I hate to get off but some days I have ride my 60'' and wish was on my 72''
Old 10-15-2011, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post

That is probably the same seat that Badboy had at their dealer meeting. Its a grammer seat and is light years beyond the michigan seat. I am very excited to use it next year.

I was just at the scag dealer meeting and heard nothing of those front forks????

I always thought Gravely built a pretty good mower but most seem to think they are not up to the commercial standard. Apparently they are going to fix that. Good to hear as i like to see competition between brands.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is this the wheel you were talkin about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcdmH...eature=related
Old 10-15-2011, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i remember seeing those on tv a long time ago...they've been around for awhile...i guess they are just trying to per-fect them.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any new info on the Gravely 400 series? Curious to see what they do to this new model!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOctagon View Post
Is this the wheel you were talkin about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcdmH...eature=related
I can see how those could be really beneficial to ZTR's, but I hope they never use them for auto's. That's all the idiots who run from LEO's need- a tire that can't be spiked stripped
Old 10-18-2011, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I can see how those could be really beneficial to ZTR's, but I hope they never use them for auto's. That's all the idiots who run from LEO's need- a tire that can't be spiked stripped
How often does that happen anyway? And it didn't work out too well for the officer in Michigan who was killed trying to throw them out last week did it?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, and all this air ride, shock absorbing bs is just more nonsense to weigh down the mowers which leads to more rutting and tearing up lawns. No thanks. I don't have any problems with my rides.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
How often does that happen anyway? And it didn't work out too well for the officer in Michigan who was killed trying to throw them out last week did it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Oh, and all this air ride, shock absorbing bs is just more nonsense to weigh down the mowers which leads to more rutting and tearing up lawns. No thanks. I don't have any problems with my rides.

Having a bad day are we.......