Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2011, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A Nice Compliment

An elderly gentleman called this afternoon. He had just purchased a home here, and needed lawn service. I told him I had just gotten home, and hadn't unhooked the trailer yet, so I'd just run up and give him a quote, and go from there.

Nice home, fenced back yard, and tons of landscaping. Luckily, the gate was just wide enough for my Walker, as the back yard was substantially larger than the front. He about talked my leg off for a bit. He was a navigator on B-29's way back when.

Anyway, he asked what I would charge, and I told him with all the trimming necessary, probably $45. He said he only paid $25 where he lived previously with a similar sized yard, but it didn't have nearly the number of landscape features. I told him I'd mow, then I'd know exactly how long it would take, and give him a price then.

I did, and was able to do so in substantially less time than I originally figured, largely because of the layout of the place. Trimming, all the trees, etc, were within just a few feet of the fence, so there is no need to run all over trimming.

When I got done, I asked him if he was needing me to take care of the mowing from now on, and he said yes, so I asked him if he could live with $35 a cut? His reply was that with the kind of job I did, he sure could. He said he was only paying $25 before, but that he was getting a $25 job too.

Kinda makes you feel good when someone notices, doesn't it?
Old 10-15-2011, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

congrats on getting a good customer
Old 10-15-2011, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It sure does.

Sometimes one sincere compliment from a knowledgeable person can make up for a lot of "less than complimentary" statements from "less than knowledgeable" people.

It makes you feel good to know that at least some people appreciate the extra effort involved in a job well done. It also renews your faith in the human race....and we ALL can use some of that from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
An elderly gentleman called this afternoon. He had just purchased a home here, and needed lawn service. I told him I had just gotten home, and hadn't unhooked the trailer yet, so I'd just run up and give him a quote, and go from there.

Nice home, fenced back yard, and tons of landscaping. Luckily, the gate was just wide enough for my Walker, as the back yard was substantially larger than the front. He about talked my leg off for a bit. He was a navigator on B-29's way back when.

Anyway, he asked what I would charge, and I told him with all the trimming necessary, probably $45. He said he only paid $25 where he lived previously with a similar sized yard, but it didn't have nearly the number of landscape features. I told him I'd mow, then I'd know exactly how long it would take, and give him a price then.

I did, and was able to do so in substantially less time than I originally figured, largely because of the layout of the place. Trimming, all the trees, etc, were within just a few feet of the fence, so there is no need to run all over trimming.

When I got done, I asked him if he was needing me to take care of the mowing from now on, and he said yes, so I asked him if he could live with $35 a cut? His reply was that with the kind of job I did, he sure could. He said he was only paying $25 before, but that he was getting a $25 job too.

Kinda makes you feel good when someone notices, doesn't it?