Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2011, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Business Name Ideas - Original Name is Taken

I know this is cheesy asking for help for a business name but, I am getting back into the business part time to supplement my income. I did this for 15 years before. Nevertheless, I formed the company, registered, came up with my business name, etc.

My business name was 'DO IT ALL LLC' with a tag line of 'So you don't have to...' I picked this name because my business(es) were going to be compromised of different things with landscaping just being one of them. The business was registered, cards were made, the website was pulled, etc. 4 weeks later I received a letter from the state and they are saying they made a mistake because this name was already taken (DO IT ALL INC.) and DO IT ALL LLC isn't 'distinguishable' enough. I thought about rolling with 'LEE DO IT ALL LLC' (my last name), but that seems somewhat long to me. Thoughts on that?

Anyway, if I could have it this way, I would like a name that means 'jack of all trades' because again, my business will be comprised of different things. I would also like to keep the name general instead of something with 'landscaping, turf, etc' in it to avoid registering fictitious names.

I am super pissed off and right now I can not get the creative juices flowing. It took me quite a while to come up with the original name, and now I have to do it all again (cards, flyers, website, etc).

Can I get some ideas? I'm open to different things.

Thanks again.

Doug
Old 10-15-2011, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What are your hobbies? What's your town name? Are there any rivers/major geographical landmarks?

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 10-15-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why don't you just add WE in front of the name instead of Lee?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

pick a different name
Old 10-16-2011, 04:45 AM
Sponsor

How about Lee's do it all LLC. Hope this help's Doug
easy-lift guy
Old 10-16-2011, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlMechanic View Post
pick a different name
Yeah, I agreed. It's not very professional in my opinion. A guy around my city does landscaping and a variety of other tasks for homes/businesses and his name is HOAG Industries.
Scag Pro-V 48
Gravely Pro-Walk FLH 36
Exmark Metro 26
Exmark X series 21
Stihl and Redmax Handhelds
Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 10-16-2011, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Something doesn't seem right. There is a state website that allows you to see all this. There are many instances where there is an LLC and INC with no difference in the name. Really all you need to do is add "of ____ County, or of ____ Township". You know you can do all this much faster online right? Since I formed my LLC there have been at least 5 other companies in the state that have registered similar names, one guy is even DBA as the same exact name. Not a lot you can do about it. You can always offer to purchase the guys name, or even better build and market the site to add value and then sell it to them.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
What are your hobbies? What's your town name? Are there any rivers/major geographical landmarks?
Hobbies are boating, cars, anything outdoors. I don't think I want to use my town in my business name. The Delaware River is local to me, as is the Pennypack Creek and the Neshaminy Creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Why don't you just add WE in front of the name instead of Lee?
We Do It All is already taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
How about Lee's do it all LLC. Hope this help's Doug
easy-lift guy
That could be a possibility. It's appears to be available too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLM HustlerZ View Post
Yeah, I agreed. It's not very professional in my opinion. A guy around my city does landscaping and a variety of other tasks for homes/businesses and his name is HOAG Industries.
Do it all is not professional? Again, I'm open to suggestions. I'm not stuck on the original by any means. I tried Lee Enterprises but that is taken. Lee Industries is also taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Something doesn't seem right. There is a state website that allows you to see all this. There are many instances where there is an LLC and INC with no difference in the name. Really all you need to do is add "of ____ County, or of ____ Township". You know you can do all this much faster online right? Since I formed my LLC there have been at least 5 other companies in the state that have registered similar names, one guy is even DBA as the same exact name. Not a lot you can do about it. You can always offer to purchase the guys name, or even better build and market the site to add value and then sell it to them.
Yes, the state site is "PA OPEN FOR BUSINESS" and that is what I used to register for the business. What I was told is that LLC, INC, etc do not distinguish a business name. Therefore if someone has DO IT ALL INC, there can not be a DO IT ALL LLC. Now a fictitious name has no ownership properties like a a business name does (LLC, INC, etc). There can be multiple companies with the same fictitious name. When I spoke with the State on Friday, I explained that it was approved and now you're telling me they made a mistake? The lady tells me that's why they don't like people registering on the PA OPEN FOR BUSINESS site. Yet, the site was made in order to streamline the process. The site allows registration to one place and ultimately every other department is contacted for tax registration, etc and that paper work is forwarded on over vs. the owner calling every department individually and registering. Now since they made a mistake, I have to come up with a new name and notify every single department that forwarded me information. There is no 'one stop shop' when a mistake is made like this. Go figure, huh?

Doug
Old 10-16-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What about something like Riverwater Outdoor Services?

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 10-16-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

"Doug Last Name INC" DBA Dougs Do IT All