Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-16-2011, 07:49 AM
metro36's Avatar
metro36 metro36 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,334
Thanks Guys. The reason I built it this year is because my town decided not to pick up leaf piles at the curb. They will only be collecting paper bags. It would take well over 50 bags to do most of my accounts and some would probably take over 100. So it will save me a lot of time and hopefully I will get some curbside pickup jobs too.

The leaves are just starting to fall here.
__________________
More equipment then I know what to do with.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-16-2011, 07:56 AM
N.H.BOY's Avatar
N.H.BOY N.H.BOY is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CENTRAL N.H.
Posts: 1,604
Yea ours are starting to fall up here as well. A few weeks Im guessing
__________________
4 yes 4 daughters
1 female dog
1 wife

www.4daughterslandscape.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-16-2011, 07:56 AM
shovelracer shovelracer is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,009
Tell me that you secured the box to the dump.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Mower20R Mower20R is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dassel, Mn
Posts: 14
Just a question, I have a '06 chev 1/2 ton truck-5.3 liter, would I be able to pull a trailer like yours?? Or would I need a heavier truck, I couldn't quite make out what kind of truck you have hooked to your trailer.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Eurosport Eurosport is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro36 View Post
And the back door..............

I'll post some more pics once it gets painted and the hose gets installed.
Looks good the only thing I would be worried about is the amount of blow out you are going to get through the back door. I would have extended it out to cover the sides instead of finishing it at the inner edge of the side walls. When you put your tarp leave some excess to hang on the inside of the rear door to cover the gap left by the hinges.

Not trying to be critical just giving advise since I've had a set-up like yours for 4 years now and have worked out most of the kinks. Enjoy it
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-16-2011, 01:12 PM
metro36's Avatar
metro36 metro36 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Tell me that you secured the box to the dump.
Not yet but planning on it. I was planing to drill through the stake pockets. I dont think its going anywhere but I want to be safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mower20R View Post
Just a question, I have a '06 chev 1/2 ton truck-5.3 liter, would I be able to pull a trailer like yours?? Or would I need a heavier truck, I couldn't quite make out what kind of truck you have hooked to your trailer.
I pull it with a 2011 GMC 3/4 Ton 6.0 liter. I think you would be fine if you used a 7000lb trailer. I dont know if I want that much weight behind a half ton. I wouldn't have tried to pull it with my old F150. Wet leaves can get very heavy. Just make sure you invest in a good brake conntroller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurosport View Post
Looks good the only thing I would be worried about is the amount of blow out you are going to get through the back door. I would have extended it out to cover the sides instead of finishing it at the inner edge of the side walls. When you put your tarp leave some excess to hang on the inside of the rear door to cover the gap left by the hinges.

Not trying to be critical just giving advise since I've had a set-up like yours for 4 years now and have worked out most of the kinks. Enjoy it
I appreciate the advice. I am thinking about adding some strips of plywood to the sides of the trailer to close up the gaps. They really aren't that big, 1/4"-3/8", but if figured it might cause some blow out.
__________________
More equipment then I know what to do with.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-16-2011, 01:24 PM
CHRIS92789's Avatar
CHRIS92789 CHRIS92789 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Stroudsburg, Pa
Posts: 318
I do not think your 1/2 ton will do very well with a dump trailer. Just from personal experience!
__________________
A building full of equipment!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-16-2011, 03:04 PM
JerseyGreen's Avatar
JerseyGreen JerseyGreen is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Galloway, NJ
Posts: 119
can you post some pictures of your mount for the leaf loader, did you make it or buy it?
__________________
Jersey Green landscaping, LLC
Michael T. Brandenberger Jr.
ICPI Certified Installer
2004 Chevy 2500 4x4
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Ext. Cab
1993 Ford F-350 Stakebody
2009 48'' Great Dane Scamper 17 HP
36'' Great Dane Scapmer 15 HP
16 HP Billy Goat leaf loader
And a ton of other stuff
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-16-2011, 06:28 PM
mowerbrad's Avatar
mowerbrad mowerbrad is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan
Posts: 6,269
Do you think that having the loader mounted so high will be at all inconvenient/troublesome compared to loaders mounted lower? Do you think it will have enough capacity?

Keep us posted as to how well it does. I, myself, am very interested as to how well it works for you.

Nice job on the leaf box, BTW.
__________________
'07 Chevy 2500HD
2010 John Deere Z925A 54" MOD
2011 John Deere Quik Trak 647A
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-16-2011, 06:43 PM
metro36's Avatar
metro36 metro36 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
Do you think that having the loader mounted so high will be at all inconvenient/troublesome compared to loaders mounted lower? Do you think it will have enough capacity?

Keep us posted as to how well it does. I, myself, am very interested as to how well it works for you.

Nice job on the leaf box, BTW.
Thanks. Its all painted but now. Two coats of black made it look nice. I just have to mount the white alum signs on it, bolt the box to the trailer and install the hose.

I dont really see any problems. Its a little high but I can stand on the box to fuel it and I can reach all of the controls from the ground. It will have to suck leaves up higher than most but I think it will be alright. Thats why I bought an 18hp instead of the 13. I will keep you posted. The leaves are starting to fall so I will be playing with it a bit these next few weeks before I really put it to work.
__________________
More equipment then I know what to do with.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.10413 seconds with 8 queries