Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey N.H. Boy I would love to see some pictures of your leaf loader setup when you have a chance. I am a new member to this site. I have a 6' x 12' Bri-mar deck over dump trailer with plywood sides. This past weekend I picked up the 18hp billy goat leaf loader. I think you know where I am going with this. I want to mount it on the tongue of my trailer but don't want it to go up with the trailer as it dumps. My dad is a certified welder inspector so I have that aspect covered. He is the kind of guy who loves to see pictures or plans to see how things are done. I know it can be done. Tons of guys in my area have them. If you get a chance to load some pictures or have any suggestions to get me started I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I need!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I was wondering the same thing as Darryl as far as the height when it clogs. Mine occassionally clogs and I'm wondering if it will be hard to wiggle it to free the debris. Mine is mounted on the tongue so the intake is about knee high and easy to shake clogs free. What I have been doing these past 2 years to prevent clogs is I rake everything towards the hose end rather than moving the hose through the piles. By raking I am able to see everything going into the tube. As I see a stick I throw it to the side (sticks sideways always clog my hose). Plus I find I'm not so tired at the end of the day using the rake as I am moving the hose head around. I found by raking them in I hardly ever clog....even if the leaves are wet.....and I think my vacuum is only about 11 HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Yeah, I have the barn door/combo gate. You could have mouted it to the gate but you'd have to take it off every time you dumped = UGH! It's a 10 foot hose but in reality with the height the loader is and the bend it has to take and the distance out from the center of the trailer you'll be working with more like 6. That's the other thing...when the intake clogs, the best way to unclog is to straighen it and give it a good wiggly-jiggly shake which is hard to do located where you have it. It's certainly workable and if you have a cargo light on your truck you already have a work light for those short days coming up.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Update: I have used the setup a few times so far. Not a ton of leaves yet so I cant give a good review of the vac yet, but the trailer and mount work great. Almost no vibration from the vac. Unclogging is not a problem as I can pull the hose straight pretty easily. No problems so far with the vac going up when I dump. The trailer lifted it fine, even with a full load of leaves. I also inspected the vac to make sure noting was leaking when I dumped and everything was fine.

Like I said, I wanted to mount the vac over to the tool box but there just want enough room. The exhaust tube would have to have been cut a few inches because it stick out about 4" beyond the frame. Even with cutting, the vac would have needed to be mounted very close to the truck (to allow room for the trailer to dump). I was worried about damaging my truck when turning. There is less than 3' from the frame of the dump bed to the coupler on my trailer.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlavin73 View Post
I was wondering the same thing as Darryl as far as the height when it clogs. Mine occassionally clogs and I'm wondering if it will be hard to wiggle it to free the debris. Mine is mounted on the tongue so the intake is about knee high and easy to shake clogs free. What I have been doing these past 2 years to prevent clogs is I rake everything towards the hose end rather than moving the hose through the piles. By raking I am able to see everything going into the tube. As I see a stick I throw it to the side (sticks sideways always clog my hose). Plus I find I'm not so tired at the end of the day using the rake as I am moving the hose head around. I found by raking them in I hardly ever clog....even if the leaves are wet.....and I think my vacuum is only about 11 HP.
I do the same thing...I lay the nozzle down and use a stiff rake to rake the debris to the intake most of the time. I find that using a 2 foot landscape rake works better than a leaf rake.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

after you have had enough leaves to fill her up, i would like to see some reviews on it as im interested in getting a 18hp as well, thanks and good setup
Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Metro36 can you give me some specs on the size steel you used? Did u modify the framework behind the tongue on the dump trailer?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I assume you are talking about the size steel that the mount is made of. I didn't make it so I am unsure of the exact size of everything but can ask the guy who did if you want more info. I think it is 1x3 1/8 tube. It might be 1x2 tube though. There is an extra tube welded to the front of the bed. Then the mount is welded off of that. He used 1/4" plates to close up the open ends of the tube and reinforce the joints. He also used 1/4x2 flat stock as braces. He bent those slightly so they could angle back to the middle stake pocket of the trailer. The loader is then bolted to the tube.

IF you mean did I modify the actual frame of the trailer, then no. Just what is described above. I hope that is an accurate description. I can take more pictures and answer questions if needed.