Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-19-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Push Blowers?

Just wondering if anyone out there still uses push blowers. I have heard of some crews abandoning the idea in favor of backpacks because they believe its faster. Is that true or false? Also if you do use push blowers, what's your preference?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just bought a 13 horse self propelled Little Wonder, I'll tell you what. Ar triple the CFMs of the top backpacks (of which I own 3), it will out blow a backpack on big properties any day.

I'm a believer that speed during leaf season is key, it's not difficult just time consuming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wheeled blowers have their place in one's leaf cleanup arsenal. That said, they are not for everyone. The strength of the larger wheeled blower is it's ability to move larger volumes of leaves especially when they are wet. They work best in wide open areas and as Pressdun said, big properties.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's no comparison. One wgeeled blower with one back pack will out work any amount of backpacks on any size property.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2014, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here in the Northeast, a walk-behind blower is a must-have. But so is a backpack. We use the backpacks to clean out the corners and the beds, then use the WBs to clear the lawns. Most of my customer have woods, so we just fire the leaves into the woods, the WBs get it way in there.

I have a Little Wonder 9HP, and I just bought a new Billy Goat 18HP self-propelled which I hope will make life easier for us. I have 2 Redmax 8500s, they are awesome, but no comparison to a WB.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wheeled blowers are limited to blowing debris on the ground, which truly is a setback. With a large volume backpack blower i.e. redmax8500 you can move a lot of air in any direction, and any position/height that you want.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefj View Post
Wheeled blowers are limited to blowing debris on the ground, which truly is a setback. With a large volume backpack blower i.e. redmax8500 you can move a lot of air in any direction, and any position/height that you want.

You blowing the leaves off the trees?
Old 10-24-2014, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, i will reiterate what everybody else has said. You need backpacks, but a push blower, the bigger you can afford the better, is a must have as well.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 10-25-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I purchased a BG 13HP walk behind blower and used it for the first time today. I have a echo PB770 also which I used last year. I finished a large property today in 20 minutes with the wb blower and leaf loader. Last year it took 1.5 hours using the echo backpack and tarps and was paid $75 for the first of 8 cleanups. This year I made $75 in 20 minutes using the wb blower and leaf loader. In other words I went from $50/hr last year using a bp blower and tarp to the equivelant of $225/hr this year by investing in the walk behind blower and leaf loader.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I had to take one of the other to a cleanup, it would be a backpack, but if you have a few guys going with you, the WB blower is a great addition.

Tags
billy goat , fall , giant vac , leaf blower , little wonder