Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2011, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Should I Start Up...Again?

Hey, how is everyone? It's been quite a while since I've been on lawnsite. I had a small business in SC that I ended up selling due to an unexpected deployment. Well, I'm back and soon will be getting out of the Corps after 5 years. I'm going to be going to school full time and working in an unfamiliar area of Illinois.

I want to start a small LCO in Carbondale, Il; part time at first and then once enough income comes in full time. Now, I have a passion for this industry and I think I've got some good marketing ideas and strategies as well as plenty of resources such as lawnsite.

The question really becomes this: Is this a smart move??? I have a wife and son, no more military benefits and will be in an area that I'm not familiar with plus full time college (paid for by the US Government)... I'm not going to college for anything landscape related... I'm going for aviation. Aviation is where my true passion is and I really want to have a business in aviation one of these days. So, why would I want to start a lawn business? Simply becaue I enjoy the work, I enjoy the business and I think it's good practical business experience that I can take with me in the future. I have the means to start the business when I get out in May 2012, but I'm just not 100% sure that I want to spend that kind of money (probably close to $5-6000) if it's a business that I'd only have for a few years. That, and I know the sacrafice that comes with owning a business full time and I'm not sure if now is the right time to be executing such a business venture.

I'll make a pros and cons list about it later, but I would like some feedback in the mean time.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
----------------------------
04 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 with 6.0 PS
98 Dodge Ram 1500
6x14 American Haulers open trailer
2008 Husqvarna W4815
06 Stihl BR-600
02 John Deere 21"
Troy Built 21"
Craftsman Edger
Weed Wackers
-------------------------
Semper Fidelis
Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know what income skills you have but you if you can make the same money working for someone else why start a business for a few years. And make this money without having to spend thousands.

Next, being you want a career in aviation would it be possible to get part time work in this profession. This would seem to further your aviation career more then a job mowing lawns.

Would you be able to mow part time once you start your aviation career?
Old 10-04-2011, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, I'm going to be going to school for aviation. I'm a jet mechanic in the military now and I don't want to do that anymore...

I know I can make it work, but the question then becomes is all the money and energy required to start a lawn business really worth it when it's only going to be a temporary thing?... Probably not. It's more of a want vs something I really need to do
----------------------------
04 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 with 6.0 PS
98 Dodge Ram 1500
6x14 American Haulers open trailer
2008 Husqvarna W4815
06 Stihl BR-600
02 John Deere 21"
Troy Built 21"
Craftsman Edger
Weed Wackers
-------------------------
Semper Fidelis
Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It takes 3-4 years to get a good customer base, maybe take a job with a larger landscape company and save some money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2011, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If it's something YOU want to do... then do it!

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 10-17-2011, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn-Scapes View Post
If it's something YOU want to do... then do it!
I am going to Texas A&M for Animal Science full time and just started maintenance and landscaping again, and I love it. Maybe switching to a Hort degree, but we will see. I was a aviation mechanic (KC-10 Crew Chief) too, but do not have the desire to pursue that career.

I think the questions you need to be answering are: How demanding of a degree are you perusing? I mean if you are going towards BS in Aeronautical Engineering you may not have any free time after your studies and your family.

Would you be better served to work in the field of aviation that you are going to be studying, since you know in 4 or so years you will leave the landscaping industry anyway?

Like what was said before, if you want to mow and study and be a family man then DO IT! BTW: I would get your FAA Repairman's Certificate before you get out, unless you already have you A&P.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend once said take a coin out and decide, heads I do it tails I don't. If it hits one and you say to yourself best 2 out of 3. Or you say okay this is how I will doi it. You have made up your mind.

Chances are you have already made your decision and will take the input to justify it.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

^^^^ best response ever
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMarines09 View Post
Well, I'm going to be going to school for aviation. I'm a jet mechanic in the military now and I don't want to do that anymore...

I know I can make it work, but the question then becomes is all the money and energy required to start a lawn business really worth it when it's only going to be a temporary thing?... Probably not. It's more of a want vs something I really need to do
Semper Fi , I remember your post from a few year ago and a few PM's back and forth. Are you in school for your A&P now? What is the reason you don't want to be a jet mech anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
It takes 3-4 years to get a good customer base, maybe take a job with a larger landscape company and save some money.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is so true...many on lawnsite make it sound so easy and practically stumble into instant success especially years ago it really does take 3-4 years to get a a good base going.

The reality is it has never been tougher in this industry. The Just Mow It type companies are pushing the $24.99 for lawn mowing and I get an ads for an LCO from Denver in my web based Gmail account for this price range even though I'm in Idaho.

I frankly have little to zero interest in the landscaping or hardscaping side of the business even though there can be better margins in this. I'm sticking with mowing, aeration and landscape maintenance for my mowing clients and a few lawn renovations. I have considered adding herbicide application and irrigation repair since I'm asked about that constantly.

I have my A&P but have been out of it since the late 80’s and it would be like starting all over again. I inquired about the A&P job market over the years but frankly it seems like slim pickings with mediocre wages. Personally I cant stand working at night swing or graveyard and this was the reason I quit working as an A&P. This is one of the huge advantages of Lawn Care is no night shift.

I think the biggest factor is how supportive your immediate family is. This has been a HUGE battle for me personally and frankly mind boggling. Other than making bank deposits for me support on the home front....is paper thin. It is just so much easier when you have a cheerleading section who will circle the wagons when needed.... help out with marketing and paperwork etc.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.