Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Waterit's Avatar
Waterit Waterit is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 2,735
Everybody loves a good light show

Had some lightning a couple of weeks back. One customer lost all his TV's, cable and DSL modems, several computers, coupla garage-door openers, microwave, dishwasher, security system, geothermal pump and thermostats, and pool pump/lights.

Oh yeah, also took out the ESP-24MC, 5HP submersible pump, control box, pump-start relay, 19 of 23 solenoids, welded together some of the control wiring in the conduit leaving the mechanical room and some direct-burial out in the field, and blew holes in the 2" mainline.

And here we were just running out of work...
__________________
BK
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM
FIMCO-MEISTER's Avatar
FIMCO-MEISTER FIMCO-MEISTER is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Red State America
Posts: 18,734
We had a discussion not too long ago about lightning proof house and irrigation system. I said if a FL guy can't help you then it can't be done. Do you concur?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,473
according to his avatar image, he stoops to concur
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Posts: 20,562
Wowsers! Do the locals have lightning insurance down there, or is it considered an act of God?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,473
guy needs to get hydraulically-controlled appliances and televisions
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-18-2011, 05:06 PM
jvanvliet's Avatar
jvanvliet jvanvliet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,934
Hey Mike L.

Look what I found... New account, no idea what it does. Has 2 car batteries inside. It's not anywhere near the pump stations and the controller, it looks like the "Electro" you mentioned. Apparently they use them in FL. Can't find doodley squat on the I-net.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Posts: 20,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Look what I found... New account, no idea what it does. Has 2 car batteries inside. It's not anywhere near the pump stations and the controller, it looks like the "Electro" you mentioned. Apparently they use them in FL. Can't find doodley squat on the I-net.
Looks like an auxilary power supply for broadband, phone, fibre optics, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-18-2011, 05:47 PM
jvanvliet's Avatar
jvanvliet jvanvliet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Looks like an auxilary power supply for broadband, phone, fibre optics, etc.
Could be, it's not near an ATT switch or a Comcast switch though; it's close to a FPL transformer; glad I don't have to worry about it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,314
http://www.lectrotech.co.za/index.asp
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-18-2011, 05:50 PM
jvanvliet's Avatar
jvanvliet jvanvliet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterit View Post
Had some lightning a couple of weeks back. One customer lost all his TV's, cable and DSL modems, several computers, coupla garage-door openers, microwave, dishwasher, security system, geothermal pump and thermostats, and pool pump/lights.

Oh yeah, also took out the ESP-24MC, 5HP submersible pump, control box, pump-start relay, 19 of 23 solenoids, welded together some of the control wiring in the conduit leaving the mechanical room and some direct-burial out in the field, and blew holes in the 2" mainline.

And here we were just running out of work...
Check with Kiril for a 100% fail safe grounding system to avoid all that damage.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.08827 seconds with 8 queries