Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely Pro-turn 160 Review

I just purchased a 2010 Gravely Pro-turn 160 almost 3 weeks ago. Here's my story with some feedback for anyone interested.

2010 vs. 2011

Yes, it's October 2011 but I purchased a brand new leftover 2010 Gravely proturn 160. For the record, I called Gravely directly and we went through the exact model differences between 2010 and 2011. The differences are: 1. The 2010 has 1/2" height adjustment vs. 2011 that has 1/4" height adjustment. 2. The 2010 has ribbed front tires whereas the 2011 has smooth front tires. 3. The gas tank on the 2010 has a marginal amount of additional fuel vs. the 2011 (9.7 gallons vs. 9.4 gallons). Both models come with the 26hp Kawasaki motor. Other than that, they are identical.

Mower Use

I am getting back into landscaping part time to supplement my income. I did this for about 15 years, and for whatever reason I still enjoy being outdoors while making some additional money on the side. I still own a 48" Exmark walkbehind that I could have used, but I really want to minimize my time investment because I have so much other stuff going on during the year. Boating is one of my passions, and while my boating time may decrease slightly, I am not giving it up totally. In my area, the typical sized yard is 1/2 acre to 1 or 2 acres. Neighboring developments the yard sizes can average 1/3 acre up to 1/2 acre. It really depends where you get the business at.

Budget

I wanted to stay in $6k region if possible. I hadn't realized the prices of these machines had increased so much over the years. So after looking I realized I needed to increase my budget or go with a used machine. After about the third machine that I viewed, I capped my budget around $7500-$8000 but I wasn't really happy about this.

Mower Options

I briefly looked at homeowner grade zero turn riders, but I was not impressed. They were very light duty and I did not want to go down that road. I had such good luck with my 48" Exmark, that I knew commerical was the route I wanted to use. You guys will get a kick out of this... I don't know how this is even possible, but I still have the original belts on my Exmark from 15 years ago. The only thing I have had to do to that mower is grease, sharpen blades, and change the oil and filter. That is it! Anyway, we have a ton of mower shops in the surrounding Philadelphia suburbs. I visited 10 dealerships all within a 20 mile radius. I looked at the following mowers: Exmark, Toro, Hustler, Scag, Bobcat, World Lawn, Bad Boys, Gravely, Kubota, and Ferris (I think that's all of them). I began my search and started with the Bad Boys mowers. On paper they seemed like the mower I would go with. I was further impressed with the mowers when I showed up and demoed them. I checked the the ZT, the CZT, and the Pup series. The ZT was eliminated because it was shifted more towards the homeowner side, but the CZT did impress me, and the Pup really impressed me. Pricing for the CZT was $5600 and the Pup was around $7200. The Pup fit me better and the overall machine was just more beefy. That set the baseline. From there I checked out all the other brands. I am 6'2" and 230ish with a large frame. Sitting on some of these machines I found them to be rather small for my size. My knees and legs would literally hit the control levers. Comfort was a top concern of mine.

In the end I narrowed it down to the Exmark S-series ($7400 special)?, the Bobcat Procat ($8999 with a $500 little wonder blower special or $400 rebate?), the Bad Boy Pup ($7200), and the Gravely Pro-turn ($7200). I was open to deck size from 52" up to 60". The Gravely dealer who I've known forever told me he would give me $200 off if I bought now. I asked about pricing for the 2012 models and he showed me the price list. 2012 pricing was 5% greater. In the end the dealer was saving me about $560 if I bought now vs. spring of 2012. The Gravely fit me awesome too! My first ever walkbehind that I used was a Gravely pro50 way back in the 90's. They were built like tanks! If that was any indication how the new ones were, I knew this had to be a good machine. If money wasn't an option, I may have gone with the Bobcat. I had similar luck with them over the years and they also build a great machine. Anyway, I called one dealer in NJ as a last ditch effort for price matching, and he had a leftover 2010 Gravely model. He was also willing to waive the sales tax for an out of state order as well. In the end, I received a 2010 Gravely pro-turn 160 for $6200 out the door. I was very pleased to say the least.

2010 Gravely pro-turn 160 Review

I brought the mower home, checked the level on the deck, checked the fluids again, adjusted the tire pressure, and off I went. Initial impressions out of the box were that this machine was a good fit for my size. The mower comes standard with a suspension seat and it's adjustable for weight. It's very comfy riding through a bumpy yard with this seat. I did not feel fatigued at all.

The pro-turn 100 series mowers come with the ZT 3400 hydros which are good for 10 mph. If you upgrade to the 200 series, I believe they come with the ZT 5400's. Again, the 3 week impression is that this machine is very very smooth with these hydros. It seems to be very well balanced using the sticks for motion control. The sticks also have the ability to adjust in several different positions for rider comfort. Gravely also has a nice feature on the controls when the operator goes to exit the machine. Rather than finding the exact neutral position and then swinging the sticks to the side, these controls just fold up out of the way. Simple yet effective.

The deck on this machine appears to be very heavy duty. It's a 7 gauge deck with 0.25" spindle reinforcement. No doubt this machine is commercial quality. Deck raising is done very easily with the foot adjustment. Height adjustment is done via a simple pin/hole combination. Again, the deck on the 2010 model is in 1/2" increments vs. the 2011 which is 1/4" increments. The mower out of the box strips very very well. I noticed the deck has great vacuum and seemed to cut great. Again, I can't emphasize enough that I was really impressed with this cut and the striping ability out of the box.

The engine is your typical 26 hp Kawasaki FX series engine. There isn't much to say about these engines except that it has a ton of power and they are very reliable. I cut this one lawn that hadn't been cut in over 3 weeks... no bogging whatsoever. The air filtration system looks to be very well designed from what they were years ago. The only thing I do not like about the engine is the oil filter placement. It seems somewhat hard to access. Fuel consumption appears to be around 1 gallon per hour? I will have to verify this for sure. Again, the unit has a 9.7 gallon fuel setup.

Access on the machine is also very easy. The foot tray swings up for pully adjustments. The seat also flips up for battery access and hydro reservoir top off. ROPS is standard on the machine along with the suspension seat. Tire sizes are 13x6.50 - 6 for the front, and 23x10.50 - 12 for the rear. The machine is about 1075 pounds and comes with a 2 year commericial warranty, lifetime warranty on the deck, and 3 year spindle warranty.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks again.

Doug
Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old 10-18-2011, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats, you got a very tough mower at a great price. Personally, I think Gravely is one of the best value's out there period.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Congratulations on the mower. I just have to mention this. That is one strange looking trailer! I don't believe I've ever seen one with wheel wells like that, and can't really think of a reason why one would be made that way. I'm not knocking your equipment, just have never seen one built like that.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
Congratulations on the mower. I just have to mention this. That is one strange looking trailer! I don't believe I've ever seen one with wheel wells like that, and can't really think of a reason why one would be made that way. I'm not knocking your equipment, just have never seen one built like that.
That is just a small utility trailer that I have. It appears to be a home built trailer. I've owned it for about 8 years. It definitely is weird looking and I don't like the fact that the wheel wells are built up like that on the interior of the trailer. For $150 bucks though, I can't complain too much. I originally used it to haul my motorcycle, but it works great to haul stone, mulch, wood, lawn equipment, etc.

Doug
Old 10-21-2011, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice review.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2010 152. I also have a 148 and an '08 260 and 252.

If someone decided one day that we could all own just one mower, it would be my 152. That's the best all-around mower I've ever had.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a 2011 ProTurn160 also. Bought it in June of this year and now have about 210 hrs on it. Not one bit of trouble from it so far.
http://www.klawns.com
Old 10-22-2011, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is your chute mounted backwards?
Old 10-22-2011, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats on your new "ride"! My son bought a new '08 252 (Kawi AC 26hp) and has really been happy with it. His only concern has been what seems to be excessive valve chatter. He has about 300 hrs on it and I think Kawi says to adjust the valves at about 300 hrs so maybe that will quieten them down.

I have a BB Lightning that I'm happy with, but in my opinion I agree that Gravely is one of the better values around.

Stan