Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

How Long Should A SENDEC Last?

The Sendec unit on my main mower has been faithfully recording hours and RPM's for I'm guessing about 5 or 6 years now.

Then as you know we had a long hot dry summer here in Central TX (44 consecutive days with no rain and temperatures over 100). Most everyone's grass here got roasted out, and the mower got very little use for those 2 months. Then we got a bit of rain, and I finally got some work this past week -- rolled the mower out and it started right up just fine, but the Sendec unit failed to answer roll call, it was blank and dead.

I know the thing is self-powered by a little battery in there somewhere, and I always wondered how long it would last. I want to either repair or replace it as I don't want to be without one. Can they be restored, or are they just throw away?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been wondering the same thing. Mine has been displaying absoulte jibberish for quite some time now. I think the LCD display is messed up but maybe it's the battery. I'd be interested in knowing if it's still recording my hours and if so what they are. Hopefully someone who knows a thing or 2 about these will chime in. I think I remember reading that they retain their memory if the battery dies.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Their only good till they quit.....Throw it away and buy another, Your lucky it lasted this long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Their only good till they quit.....Throw it away and buy another, Your lucky it lasted this long.
Thanks Rob. Would be nice to have a cumulative total of hours on my machine though, but i guess if I was really concerned about it I would have done something about it sooner. It had 8888.8 hours on it for a while but now it has -=-L| on it.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Replace it with a Hobb's that runs off the machine battery when it's running, Those things seem to last forever......http://content.honeywell.com/sensing...p/cat1_hr5.asp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!