Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2011, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys think?

so i am thinking about sending this letter to my clients to introduce myself during the winter break, please Criticize it where it needs to be. I can also use some good survey questions to ask. Thanks

Dear Valued Customer,

I would like to take this time to introduce myself. My name is (my name) after serving 7 years as a Soldier, I have finally decided to depart the service, and take part in the family Landscaping business. During the next few seasons my father will be retiring, and I will be given the business. During the next few years I will be attending college for a degree in Landscape Development, and working side by side with my father to learn more about the business. I hope I can provide you with the great lawn service and customer service my father has provided you with in the past.

I hope you will participate in a short survey to help us improve the business.

Sales:
When receiving an estimate was it clearly explained or written and professional?
Have we explained all our services to your satisfaction?
Have we answered all of your questions?
Is there anything that you are unhappy with(sales)?
If YES Please explain: __________________________________________
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________

Service:
Have we performed our work to meet your standard?
Is there anything that you would have us change?
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________

Workmanship:
Are our employees polite and courteous?
Is there anything that you are unhappy with?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

People don't like surveys! Just roll with your dad, and if the biz is already successful why change anything! A degree in landscape development, seriously? I guess that's ok if you just wanna collect the gi bill money.

Skip the survey, and just talk to your customers when your at their property. It's not rocket science. Smile, laugh at their stupid jokes, show a litte interest when they talk to you and charge slightly above average prices and you will be good to go. It's really that simple!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Suggestive ideas....have your Father write the letter introducing YOU. It will have more of an impact on your customers. After all, it's HIS business and reputation that has been earned. Secondly, NOBODY likes hearing about something of significant value (such as a business) being 'GIVEN' without it being 'EARNED'...particularly to a young adult. Third, have your Father tell the customer YOU will be working at his side to learn the business while attending college as a way for YOU to pay for YOUR education. That will gain plenty of mileage with the customer. Forth, find an English major and buy them lunch for re-writing the letter. I find several areas that wouldn't pass a 100 level english comp test...e.g 'during the next few' appears twice in same paragraph just as the word service is used twice in same sentence. Picky Picky! Some people make judgements of others based on how well they can write. Lastly, I agree with the previous post suggesting you lose the survey. It's awfully redundant. All you really want to know is whether the customer is satisfied with the service being provided and if not.....what they would like to see improved upon. Case closed. Perhaps you will gain more 'feed-back' on this question IF you were to provide the customer with some incentive such as a discount on next year's service. You could enclose your Father's 'letter' in the final invoice of the season and the customer could include their response with their payment???
Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Second sentence very poorly worded. Major run on.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Work with your father to learn the business side of the business and the work side. Working with your father will ease the transition with customers as they will see you with your father and over time this will make them comfortable with you. I'm all for going to college but think you would be better served with a degree in business. Good luck.
16' Landscape trailer
2008 Toro Z500
2007 Toro 21" commercial
2007 Toro 40" commercial
2008 Craftsman 33"
2008 Bluebird S22
2009 Pluger 400
And a whole lotta other stuff
Old 10-18-2011, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't start it off with "Dear Valued Customer" it makes you look like some giant corporate company that sends millions of these types of letters out all the time.

State their name ... "Dear Mrs. Smith,"
Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree that people don't wanna take a survey. Just keep doing a good job and your clients will be loyal to you.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 10-18-2011, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Go to work with your dad. When customers are around take a few minutes to speak with them.

People don't like change. Why remind them things are changing. If you don't point it out they won't even notice. It will be a smooth, natural progression.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ditto on all of the above, I already forgot to be grateful that you served our country when you said your dad is giving you the business. made me want to smack you for being spoiled and i dont even know you. work by his side, they will see and meet you. it should transition just fine.

also, letters, surveys, etc, are a waste of time. half of my customers dont read a thing I send them from bills to proposals. i always joke i could bill them for x,y,& z and they would still pay it. as a home and business owner i dont have time to read half the things that come in the mail.

good luck

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity