Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-19-2011, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Even though you stated that there isn't any jobs in your area, I would still try and find a part-time job in the mean-time to supplement your income.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait a minute, It's not that hard to get into this business is it? I mean everyone that loses their job can take their homeowner mower and do it right?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a ranger and I pulled a 5x10 this whole past season loaded with my 700 pound grandstand,and all my other stuff, I wouldn't try to pull much more though, it's not so much the pulling that is the problem as much as the stopping, The next truck and trailer I get will be full size and tow package for sure. Start off very slow your first year you're gonna be amazed at what you're going to need to learn in this business, This was my first full season and let me tell you I was almost overwhelmed with learning information and researching stuff and am still nowhere close to feeling comfortable with the knowledge side of the business. Customers expect you to have all the answers to their landscape and lawncare problems. I've always taken a lot of pride in knowing my stuff, so this was a new deal for me, I spent a lot of time saying I don't know, but I will find out, this year, so just be prepared. I wish there was a local school here to teach a lot of this stuff, so far this site has been my school / go to for tough questions and tough situations, that you will inevidently find yourself in. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions, there is a ton of experience on here and most are willing to help anyway they can.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Even though you stated that there isn't any jobs in your area, I would still try and find a part-time job in the mean-time to supplement your income.
Actually im on unemployment for a year so dont really want to get a job lol. But when that runs out early next summer I want to have my lawn care biz in place to start providing me with income. I have all winter to learn the biz and what to buy and be starting spring time next year.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I have a ranger and I pulled a 5x10 this whole past season loaded with my 700 pound grandstand,and all my other stuff, I wouldn't try to pull much more though, it's not so much the pulling that is the problem as much as the stopping, The next truck and trailer I get will be full size and tow package for sure. Start off very slow your first year you're gonna be amazed at what you're going to need to learn in this business, This was my first full season and let me tell you I was almost overwhelmed with learning information and researching stuff and am still nowhere close to feeling comfortable with the knowledge side of the business. Customers expect you to have all the answers to their landscape and lawncare problems. I've always taken a lot of pride in knowing my stuff, so this was a new deal for me, I spent a lot of time saying I don't know, but I will find out, this year, so just be prepared. I wish there was a local school here to teach a lot of this stuff, so far this site has been my school / go to for tough questions and tough situations, that you will inevidently find yourself in. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions, there is a ton of experience on here and most are willing to help anyway they can.
Thanks for the info. Yeah this site has already been helping me out alot.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyclass View Post
Actually im on unemployment for a year so dont really want to get a job lol. But when that runs out early next summer I want to have my lawn care biz in place to start providing me with income. I have all winter to learn the biz and what to buy and be starting spring time next year.
Wow, talk about setting yourself up for flames.... If you're lazy enough that you think you're going to just sit on Unemployment benefits for a year instead of being out looking for and trying to GET a job again, you'll certainly never make it as a legitimate lawn care business.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
My budget that I have is around $7000. I have a ford ranger that I am going to use to get started i know done the road I will need a bigger truck. I really dont have any major equipment just my push mower and weed whacker that I used for own lawn. I figure what I need to get started is:

trailor
commerical mower
weed whacker
back pack blower
edger

Sound right or anything else?
You don't really need an edger right off, learn to edge with your trimmer, I can probably edge just as fast with my trimmer as with an edger, it takes some practice though.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=moneyclass;4191490]Actually im on unemployment for a year so dont really want to get a job lol.

And we wonder why this country is in the shape it is. If you think lawn care and landscaping biz is easy money wait till it is 100 degrees and 90% humidity for a week straight. Or it has rained for a week grass is a foot tall and you are getting calls from people wondering why thier grass isn't taken care of. Better yet, underbid a job just to get it and suffer with it all year long knowing that everytime you unload your losing money. there is my two cents
Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I got layed off in 08 and have never drawn a cent of unemployment! I went straight to full time lawncare and a part time job, there is no need to wait your just wasting valuable time that you could be out there getting customers and learning hands on, it's really the only way your gonna learn this business, don't be like so many other's! be a doer not a wanna be or I have time to do it later kinda person, if you have time later you have time now.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I got layed off in 08 and have never drawn a cent of unemployment! I went straight to full time lawncare and a part time job, there is no need to wait your just wasting valuable time that you could be out there getting customers and learning hands on, it's really the only way your gonna learn this business, don't be like so many other's! be a doer not a wanna be or I have time to do it later kinda person, if you have time later you have time now.
Oh trust me if i could start it now I definitely would but i live in ohio and its going to be snowing prolly in a few weeks. So what i was going to do while we are going to be in winter for the next few months is learn the biz since I dont know to much about it.