Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

From my reading from this site.....it looks like when people start out they buy a walk behind and after the biz grows they buy a sit down mower.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There is not enough background info here. How old are you? Live at home...parents ...grandmas basement ? What was your old job?
What are your current skills?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2011, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
There is not enough background info here. How old are you? Live at home...parents ...grandmas basement ? What was your old job?
What are your current skills?
Posted via Mobile Device
Im 30 yrs old. Own my own home. My previous job was in a machine shop fixing machines so im somewhat mechanically inclined.

I own 5 rental properties which pay for my living now so dont really need to make alot of my landscaping biz. and can go a year without taking any profits from it and can reinvest it back into the biz to keep growing it.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I would start with a good walk behind, its going to fit on more properties, easier to not screw up a yard with etc. I wouldn't get a riding mower unless you have large enough accounts to justify it really. We bought have a 60" rider this year mainly for one really big job, but its too large for the majority of our accounts and we will be getting another, bigger walk behind for those next season.

I guess, just dont run out and buy a rider just because you can afford it... only buy one if you really NEED it.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyclass View Post
I own 5 rental properties which pay for my living now so dont really need to make alot of my landscaping biz.
Rentals are a good investment. Thats actually what we are doing in reverse. All of my income after living expense go back into buying rental property. They are right now just paying for themselves for the most part, but its more a long term retirement plan than a money maker for me.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickleylawncare View Post
Rentals are a good investment. Thats actually what we are doing in reverse. All of my income after living expense go back into buying rental property. They are right now just paying for themselves for the most part, but its more a long term retirement plan than a money maker for me.
Oh yeah i like rentals. And yeh a good retirement income too. Ive been buying them for the past 10 yrs. I have 4 out of my 5 paid for so im super happy. Once they are rented out and all things are fixed all you have to do is sit back and collect rent.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I would start with a good walk behind, its going to fit on more properties, easier to not screw up a yard with etc. I wouldn't get a riding mower unless you have large enough accounts to justify it really. We bought have a 60" rider this year mainly for one really big job, but its too large for the majority of our accounts and we will be getting another, bigger walk behind for those next season.

I guess, just dont run out and buy a rider just because you can afford it... only buy one if you really NEED it.
Yeah Im looking into a cub cadet 52". Any opinion on that?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I personally have been very happy with Exmark... I think most of the major commercial brands are all solid, each probably has something that its better at than the other. What was important to me was quick,easy, and close contact to a good dealer. For me it was down to Gravely or Exmark, and Exmark had a better, closer dealer for me.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I personally have been very happy with Exmark... I think most of the major commercial brands are all solid, each probably has something that its better at than the other. What was important to me was quick,easy, and close contact to a good dealer. For me it was down to Gravely or Exmark, and Exmark had a better, closer dealer for me.
Very true...thats why im looking at a cub cadet the dealer is like a mile from my house. Ive also seen alot of people having exmark.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Either I am completely confused or dont remember everything I just read. First you are jobless, then on unemployment, and now you own 5 rental properties that pay for your living and will bank your retirement? I'm no IRS official but if you are collecting money from rental properties that is income and probably shouldn't allow you to be on unemployment, but again I'm no IRS person and maybe its all "cash".

So this business is just for "kicks"? Do you want this business to turn into something or is just "filling the gap" until you find a "real job". There is no money to be made if you are not in this for the long haul, I dont care what anyone says. Good well paying clients don't just pile up and good marketing costs money. I'm really just confused why you need this if your rental properties are paying for your living? I'm only part time so I'm not going to say much else but I've been in this industry for 10 years. I wish everyone who starts out the best, but like another said, if you dont actually like this industry its just not going to work out well.