Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-11-2002, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

f-450 dump on truck trader any thoughts?

I've got this dang bug for another truck. I want diesel, and I would like a dump. We haul off grass and do some light landscaping (hauling a few yards of soil would be great)

What do you all think of this truck

http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/7/6/31770176.htm

I have looked at others but they seem so long (one truck was 24 ft long) I'd never make it through some cul de sacs!

I currently have a 95 f-250 with the 5.8 liter. It is a very good truck but I am seeing the need for another. We are expanding.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:38 PM

Doesn't say if it is 4x4. Maybe where you are doesn't get enough winter to justify the expense.

Doesn't say how many miles. And the pic looks brand new. I would want to see more pics, and know how many miles are on it.

Another thing coming out of the east there will be the threat of rusting due to the massive amounts of salt they put on the roads for snow melt.
I have seen ones that rust in a hurry, and were not that old.

Seems a little steep on the price. But that maybe because I have never priced a truck with a dump on it.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I appreciate your feedback. Those are the ?? I asked in an email I sent to the dealer.

I agree the thing looks brand new in the picture....maybe a little bait and switch??? Maybe its legit. I guess I'll find out.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That price seems high to me as well. Also, I've had a very hard time finding a comany that will ship a dually. That means, that you'll pretty much have to go and get the thing yourself. Pa. is a 13 hour drive for me here in Tennessee. For you in Colorado, that would be a big obstacle.

On the other hand, by checking on Ebay, I've noticed that virtually every truck in the Pennsylvania area was selling for way less than the truck would bring in Tennessee. I asked one seller why that was. He said that between all of the farming and coal mining, there was a huge glut of trucks and no one locally would pay very much. So I suspect that this seller knows that locally, he's not going to get anywhere close to what he's asking in this ad. That's why he's got it up on the internet.

But then there is that salt thing. Here in the south, we just never see much rust. In fact, we are so unaccustomed to seeing rust that many times, we don't even think to look for it. Many folks have brought vehicles in that are jammed full of bondo and painted over and we get taken to the cleaners.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mowerdude
That price seems high to me as well. Also, I've had a very hard time finding a comany that will ship a dually. That means, that you'll pretty much have to go and get the thing yourself. Pa. is a 13 hour drive for me here in Tennessee. For you in Colorado, that would be a big obstacle.

Well see the good thing for Currier is that he knows this guy with a big azz car hauler.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

That truck is a F-Superduty and they are a good truck they pack one hell of a load I owned a 88 with a 12x7 gravel box I packed upto 9000lbs loads. The truck carried the weight I was grossed to 17,000lbs I didn't do this all the time but it was hard to tell with the truck when I got loaded the truck didn't squat all that much. It was only when I rolled over the pit scale and my gross was 17,200 I thought to myself ohboy a bit over loaded especially when the gvw is 14,500

The reason why I sold the truck it was 460 gas powered and sucked fuel back at a whopping 6mpg I would need to have a fuel tanker close by

Right now I'am in the process of putting a 89 F-Superduty together its powered by a 7.3IDI but needs a new engine .
I would check with your DOT rules before you buy the the truck around here a truck that size is classed as commercial so you have to follow all the commercial truck rules.

As for having 4x4 you got no choice the F-Superduties never came 4wheeldrive I was gonna convert mine to 4x4 but I was told if you need 4wheeldrive to get to where I'am delivering you don't have togo there. My truck worked all right in the snow you just gotta run some good traction tires on the back and a little bit of weight in the box.

Last thing the price of that truck is a bit steep I would get some more info first I converted it to CND funds and its pretty high for a truck that year.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last year we payed 30,000 cdn for a 99 powerstroke, 4x4, 6 spd, 8 foot dumper (141" wb) with a 118,000 km. A local dealer just sold a 97 superduty powerstroke, auto, 11 foot dumper and 148,000 km for 27,000 cdn.

Scott
Old 11-20-2002, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Currier~
I'm not sure on the book value of that truck, but i can offer a little info about that dealer. They are a body fabricator and i would almost bet that that truck looks exactly as it does in the picture. This dealer has a reputation of buying diesel cab and chassis from the army and then going over them, new paint anything they notice going wrong with them, and either put a body on them or wait for a customer to request a body put on. This is actually a small truck for them. They usually deal with trucks like International 1600. The price for the area they are located is not too much outta range i'ld bet. They are located about 30 mins south of Allentown near Quakertown in eastern PA. I might be running down that way in the next week or so, if you want me to stop in a check for rust or anything like that let me know. Good Luck
Old 11-20-2002, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

whatever came about this truck? did u get it? what was the response to the email?
Old 11-20-2002, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They called me back yesterday and it had sold It really was just the truck I was looking for only it was located clear across the country! Still I would have probably flown out to lookat/get it after I had it check out by some of the LS boys in PA!
Around here that would be an excellant price, and there just isn't any f-450's. We have millions of one ton duallies hauling the briefcases to the office. The $$ is super high. I would have been happy paying 16900.00 for that truck.

EXCEPT it did not have A.C. and that would have mattered

Thanks to all for the info and for the offers of help. I figure I am definately in the market and if the right truck comes along I'll get it!