Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2011, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Better get some holiday lighting or something... Sprinkler repair, mulch, tree work to get you through the winter. Hell I took on painting about 500ft of wooden fence last year to keep my guys working. I'm not paying anyone unemployment if I can help it.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
The thing I am happiest about is the plants and weeds slowing down.
I goofed. I was "chemically" maintaining some of my hedges and backed off on the growth regulator in July. They are growing more right now than they did all year
Old 10-20-2011, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

We've done pretty well in our first year. This week was our 1yr anniversary and we're over 150k in sales thus far for the 2011 months. We have a few larger accounts that take us full days so right now we only need to fill about 7-10 days of work a month to be able to get them 30-40 hours each during the off months. We normally get a few a month, as we're willing to do some of the uglier property clean ups that the other local companies aren't wanting to touch. I think we'll be OK. We had been getting away with two full time guys and some part timers, but promoted one of our part timers to full time last month because we needed more hours out of him.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn, 52 degrees this morning, growth will be slowing down now.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It was the first one shirt day today. Started with a sweatshirt. Hardly any growth even on the irrigated yards. Got a ton of detail work done this week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2011, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lots of driveby's today ....even on well cared for lawns - nothing. We did some detail work in the beds....made being out worth us getting up in the morning...but overall ...it was a big waste. Tomorrow should be interested because they are some of my most cared for lawns.....interested to see what happens.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-25-2011, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did have growth on the lawns . Not much but just enough to still cut. I had leaves to mulch up and driveways to blow off. I just dont want to get those dreaded calls. " where are you at....I did not see you this morning. It happens every year. People this you are slacking off.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Growth on St Aug has def slowed down for sure. I am fertilizing everyone this week, but I don't expect a lot of growth, just more of a greenup. It has been high 60s-low 70s as the low and barely eclipsing 80 as the high with very low humidity. I imagine you C. and N. Fl guys have had even cooler temps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

High's have been about the same but the low's have been running mid 50's, 56 last night.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I did have growth on the lawns . Not much but just enough to still cut. I had leaves to mulch up and driveways to blow off. I just dont want to get those dreaded calls. " where are you at....I did not see you this morning. It happens every year. People this you are slacking off.
Not me - most of the subdivisions here are new enough that the tree's leaves do not create that big of a mess. I explain to them from the start that if the turf does not need cut....I am not sticking a big mower on it and running over it...I did that a couple years ago and just had enough of that as it was wasting my time and gas and running overly perfectly happy grass just cause is kind of abuse if you ask me

We only mowed 2 lawns so far this week and I must of been cursed as I did just get a text from a client who has zoysia asking if we were coming this week as I have been writing this. I texted back remember I do not cut turf that does not need cut, your shrubs look good, beds are in great shape, did you need something addressed. The answer was no but could I edge the jasmine by the mailbox next week....OK

Now because we only mowed 2 lawns does not mean we did not address issues on full service accounts that needed something addressed but we have been working on putting things to rest little by little over the last couple of weeks looking forward to this. Add to this that many feel the need to to put Halloween decor all over there lawn (which means I don' t move that crap as I am not being compensated too)....I have a feeling this week will be full of lots of driving by the properties and waving

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!