Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Growth on St Aug has def slowed down for sure. I am fertilizing everyone this week, but I don't expect a lot of growth, just more of a greenup. It has been high 60s-low 70s as the low and barely eclipsing 80 as the high with very low humidity. I imagine you C. and N. Fl guys have had even cooler temps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep things are slowing way down....life is getting better all the time

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Yep things are slowing way down....life is getting better all the time
Im not 100% about this, but I remember last October being warmer and more humid....

In any case, trimming has slowed down a lot, and by mid nov, everyone will be EOW, except for 3 homes.

My new property that I picked up has been great. We spent the first 2 weeks cleaning up and trimming ALL the hedges. This month, we have done very little trimming and the past 2 weeks have been all extras from re-sodding a small section, 3 days of cleanup stuff, filled in bare areas with plants today, and doing ~900 new guinnea impatiens this saturday along with an 8 ft. OA podocarpus "pillar."

After we put the impatiens in I will take some pics of the place as it is looking really good.

I really hope, wish, and have a good feeling that I will pick up 1-2 more of these this winter while these types are in town. That will keep me busy all winter and give my employee enough hours.....we shall see.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Today almost felt like a waste of time loading everything up and headed out. Just mow in my old neighborhood on Tuesdays and only two yards needed full mowing. Instead we just did the tedious hand cleaning various things, tidying up stuff. I think it will be a long weekend to enjoy Halloween with.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Last year I went on Vacation on the 11th and had no issues taking a week off and starting EOW. I'm guessing thinks slowed down later this year. I have to mow everything this week even if its just taking a 1/2 inch off as I'll be gone next week.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Last year I went on Vacation on the 11th and had no issues taking a week off and starting EOW. I'm guessing thinks slowed down later this year. I have to mow everything this week even if its just taking a 1/2 inch off as I'll be gone next week.
My plan in 5 days. Then off to Buffalo for a few days of deer hunting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
My plan in 5 days. Then off to Buffalo for a few days of deer hunting.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm outa here Friday morning for a Maine hunting trip myself......can't wait!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Last cut today and then EOW cutting grass; Have sod jobs lined up; annuals to install; mulch; renovate & replace hedge plantings; general clean ups; irrigation wet checks & upgrades; looks like we'll be busy until at least the middle of December when I get my knee replacement on 12/15 .

I'll have to lay off a couple of seasonal workers tomorrow, 1 week severance pay, don't come to work Monday . I'll remain at 1/2 staff and a four day work week until May 2012 if I'm still kicking.

Off season is a great time to get all the properties in AAA+ condition, make our presence known while everybody else is off. It's also a great time to catch customers, property managers (ask to bid for new business) and neighbors to chit chat and develop relationships. It'll be an opportunity to tear down the machines, catch up on maintenance & get everything ready for the coming season.

We'll be sending out seasonal thank you cards (magnetized calenders) and gift cards to the commercial property managers. Not much time to goof off for us, we'll take some but we ain't gonna coast; we'll be working to make 2012 a spectacular year. I'm betting Valley Crest, US Lawns and the other major players will be out there looking to take food off everybody's plate.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Last cut today and then EOW cutting grass; Have sod jobs lined up; annuals to install; mulch; renovate & replace hedge plantings; general clean ups; irrigation wet checks & upgrades; looks like we'll be busy until at least the middle of December when I get my knee replacement on 12/15 .

I'll have to lay off a couple of seasonal workers tomorrow, 1 week severance pay, don't come to work Monday . I'll remain at 1/2 staff and a four day work week until May 2012 if I'm still kicking.

Off season is a great time to get all the properties in AAA+ condition, make our presence known while everybody else is off. It's also a great time to catch customers, property managers (ask to bid for new business) and neighbors to chit chat and develop relationships. It'll be an opportunity to tear down the machines, catch up on maintenance & get everything ready for the coming season.

We'll be sending out seasonal thank you cards (magnetized calenders) and gift cards to the commercial property managers. Not much time to goof off for us, we'll take some but we ain't gonna coast; we'll be working to make 2012 a spectacular year. I'm betting Valley Crest, US Lawns and the other major players will be out there looking to take food off everybody's plate.
I'm with you, winter is a great time to try and pick up new business and get everything in order for next season. My truck and trailer need a full detail which I intend on doing my first "off week." I also will be studying for and taking the ISA exam. I'm hoping and praying to pick up 1-2 more 1-K+/mo. resi's this winter...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I'm with you, winter is a great time to try and pick up new business and get everything in order for next season. My truck and trailer need a full detail which I intend on doing my first "off week." I also will be studying for and taking the ISA exam. I'm hoping and praying to pick up 1-2 more 1-K+/mo. resi's this winter...
Posted via Mobile Device

My area or town being more of a wintering ground for Snow Birds has big fluctuation in population and marketing potential. There are two times of the year when sales go wild. Right now is one of them and I picking up several new customers with out advertisement. As the snow birds come back they are unhappy with their yards and other services and start switching service providers. So from Sept 15th to Nov 15th is prime marketing time. Thanksgiving to Super Bowl People are too busy buying Xmas or paying for Xmas to be thinking about Yard Care. Then again from Feb 15th to April 15th snow birds are getting ready to Fly north and are looking for service providers.

To me the fall Snow Bird Spike in sales is the best quality Customer. These are the Snow Birds who want year round service. Spring snow birds sales for the most part only want summer service and quit you in the fall when they return and look for a new guy next summer.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welp, this is my last week of weekly. Goingt to cut, trim hedges, and spray weeds on all properties this week, and then it's EOW except 3 homes. We actually had some rain fri, sat morning, and tonight and are supposed to get more tomorrow. I don't think it's enough to push a lot of growth though.

I hopefully can pick up enough side jobs to keep busy this winter and bring more $$ in......

Congrats FL guys, we did it, EOW!!!