Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

What are my chances?

I currently have 6 yards just in my neighborhood and I want to do this full time in a couple years. If I put out 2,000 door hangers, what are my chances of getting 25-35 yards? I hear people say expect a 1% response but that's not all the time, right? I put out 80 and I got a total of 7 calls. The problem is I live in a small town and I don't think I can put out 4,000-5,000 fliers. I would appreciate some help. THANKS!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

CANT HURT TO TRY! i have about 2500 door hangers left over from when i first started out in 05. plan to go put them out in the next few weeks to get rid of them and hit a few new communities.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

You wont know till you try. If you live near a larger city that might be an option to try. I have to commute over an hour to get to the city where all the business is.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I will definitely try! I know I can do it!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sometimes small towns are perfect to start. Get active in your community and network. When people know you word will spread!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

be consistant when you advertise....just one flyer or ad is not very effective....target the same areas routinely but not so much as to be annoying....when we used to flyer we would hit the same areas every 4 weeks.....until we got to where we wanted to be...
Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Getting 25 to 35 yard is easy. Getting 25 to 35 yards that meet your criteria may not be so easy. Are they located within a reasonable distance? Are they actually "lawns" that you would want to cut or are they crappy, weedy, nasty patches of earth? Will the customer agree to having you cut them at a price that's profitable for you? Will the customer let you cut them on a regular basis or do they want to "call you when it needs it?" Will the customer pay in a timely manner? Finding 25 to 35 lawns that meet all those criteria is not so easy.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

how many people usually say I will call when needed? I know of a couple landscapers who said they only have a few of those.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt's Mowing Service View Post
how many people usually say I will call when needed? I know of a couple landscapers who said they only have a few of those.
Well, none of my customers, becasue I don't play that game. I have had several potential customers over the years want to do it that way. They're usually elderly widows on a fixed income who say "can not afford" a lot yet probably have millions stashed away. They are good candidates for "Little Johnny up the road" to make a few dollars off of, not for a professional.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

one thing I like about door hanging is I can skip over the crappy neighborhoods and hit the ones that appeal to me. I know my area well because I door hang for Domino's Pizza. So I have walked up to almost every house in my town. I think that will help.