Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Jim,
since the 910 and 920 share the exact same engine (other than the throttle plate), a lot of guys here have bought the 910 for a grand - 1500 less than the 920, and for $35 worth of parts and an hour or a bit more of their time have swapped plates and ended up with the 920 powerwise.
One guy here a while back posted that he bought a new 925 and swapped in the throttle plate from a 930. Why he didn't go with the plate from a 950 is beyond me, but he said he had no interest in swapping it out again for another couple ponies.
The 910 and 920 I believe here are priced about 200-300 from each each other. The price really jumps though when you get to the z950 and up. Funny how they are priced so different. The z720 is just a few hundred less than the z910. Most dealers don't even carry them. I just figured for the little price difference here anyway why mess with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
The 910 and 920 I believe here are priced about 200-300 from each each other. The price really jumps though when you get to the z950 and up. Funny how they are priced so different. The z720 is just a few hundred less than the z910. Most dealers don't even carry them. I just figured for the little price difference here anyway why mess with it.Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, but you know there's always someone who wants to save every last dime. On top of that, some guys just want to see if they can beat the manu's at their own game and save money at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I agree, but you know there's always someone who wants to save every last dime. On top of that, some guys just want to see if they can beat the manu's at their own game and save money at the same time.
Personally I would like to see from manufactures is a line up something like this. 23,29,35 and maybe one larger size engines. Then toss in similar sized diesels and efi or dfi. It would slim down some of thier lines. Why do they need have 10 models with 2hp between them. And then build a light weight smaller COMMERCIAL mower, like exmark had with thier hp line.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Personally I would like to see from manufactures is a line up something like this. 23,29,35 and maybe one larger size engines. Then toss in similar sized diesels and efi or dfi. It would slim down some of thier lines. Why do they need have 10 models with 2hp between them. And then build a light weight smaller COMMERCIAL mower, like exmark had with thier hp line.
Posted via Mobile Device
I couldn't agree more with all of that, and make them on different sized blocks so there's no crossing back and forth.

I know they do it this way to allow them to price hike for every 2 hp, but it's still BS.

Something about the size of the Z445, but one that is full on commercial duty would be very nice. I don't see why they couldn't use the little twin cylinder LQ diesel they used in the 355's with a 48" deck on a lighter weight machine. It'd be awesome IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-30-2012, 07:41 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnCareNoobie View Post
Yep, my 925a's Kawasaki is using up oil too.

Do you ever get white smoke when starting up the mower? I see it now and then. I have warranty still as well, so it's definitely going to get taken care of.

My new 31hp blows a large cloud once in a while. I have found that if I cut it off at full throttle it almost never blows a cloud of smoke. Anything less than 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and it will blow a large cloud of smoke at least 50% of the time. I have never been a kawi fan and I am regretting buying this new mower with a kawi. I should have known better. Almost 30 years in this business and I have never owned a kawi that did not give us problems.
__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnCareNoobie's Avatar
LawnCareNoobie LawnCareNoobie is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Personally I would like to see from manufactures is a line up something like this. 23,29,35 and maybe one larger size engines. Then toss in similar sized diesels and efi or dfi. It would slim down some of thier lines. Why do they need have 10 models with 2hp between them. And then build a light weight smaller COMMERCIAL mower, like exmark had with thier hp line.
Posted via Mobile Device
The 717A and 727A seemed to fit that description the best. Really simple design. Glad I went with two 727's over the 737s. Same deck size and engine hp, just not as bulky and heavy.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
My new 31hp blows a large cloud once in a while. I have found that if I cut it off at full throttle it almost never blows a cloud of smoke. Anything less than 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and it will blow a large cloud of smoke at least 50% of the time. I have never been a kawi fan and I am regretting buying this new mower with a kawi. I should have known better. Almost 30 years in this business and I have never owned a kawi that did not give us problems.
You can get good and bad with all brands, but I did a search here a while back and found far more complaints about Kohlers blowing smoke and oil than Kawi's.

I am just the opposite of you I guess, because I'll take a Kawi anyday over a Kohler. I had a POS for a Kohler last year on my 720 when new. They did replace it under warrranty, and the new one was far, far better, but even it huffed smoke every 6th or 7th time often on start up- something the Kawi on my 950 does not do, and only did it one time when brand new on about the 5th start up. It has been a very good engine so far all the way around.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnCareNoobie View Post
The 717A and 727A seemed to fit that description the best. Really simple design. Glad I went with two 727's over the 737s. Same deck size and engine hp, just not as bulky and heavy.
But they don't make that frame anymore. I know of 2 companies ran between 6-8 each of the 717's. Not sure what they have now. I just don't understand why manufactures need to make a weigh 1500lbs and rising.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I couldn't agree more with all of that, and make them on different sized blocks so there's no crossing back and forth.

I know they do it this way to allow them to price hike for every 2 hp, but it's still BS.

Something about the size of the Z445, but one that is full on commercial duty would be very nice. I don't see why they couldn't use the little twin cylinder LQ diesel they used in the 355's with a 48" deck on a lighter weight machine. It'd be awesome IMO.
Sounds simple right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Sounds simple right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Does to me.

They already have a ton of parts inventory to support a unit with that engine. I think it'd sell well, especially with the downgrade in HP rating numbers on gassers. That 18 HP diesel would be perfect with the 48" deck, and run the 54'' probably just about as well. Can you imagine the fuel economy if they made the thing around 1000-1100 lbs?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:10 PM.

Page generated in 0.06942 seconds with 8 queries