Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-01-2012, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
It isn't the jets you'll need to change. It's the throttle plate assembly. You will want to do it to run a mulcher or bagger with that engine/machine and deck size. Was this a used unit? Just curious about the flywheel being cracked.
It was a new unit fresh from the crate... the mesh of the starter and the flywheel was off and the person(s) who assembled it at the factory tightened it down, i guess thats where it got cracked.

as an update, I ended up getting a different machine, still a 910 though... I mowed 7 lawns with it last night and have an oppinion on the machine. It is much better than the 10yr old Exmark LazerZ hp that it is replacing.... I don't have a mulch kit on it yet, but in 2ft tall wet bahia, it mowed it down at 4in without bogging it down. I do believe a little more power would be nice,(power is always nice)
Old 08-01-2012, 04:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
You can get good and bad with all brands, but I did a search here a while back and found far more complaints about Kohlers blowing smoke and oil than Kawi's.

I am just the opposite of you I guess, because I'll take a Kawi anyday over a Kohler. I had a POS for a Kohler last year on my 720 when new. They did replace it under warrranty, and the new one was far, far better, but even it huffed smoke every 6th or 7th time often on start up- something the Kawi on my 950 does not do, and only did it one time when brand new on about the 5th start up. It has been a very good engine so far all the way around.
The LazerZ HP has a 23hp Kohler and it puffs smoke after sitting for a couple days, but then its fine the rest of the week, but it is burning some oil, about half a quart every 50hrs. That engine has over 1600hrs on it.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxurylawnsbyJB View Post
The LazerZ HP has a 23hp Kohler and it puffs smoke after sitting for a couple days, but then its fine the rest of the week, but it is burning some oil, about half a quart every 50hrs. That engine has over 1600hrs on it.
The Kohler on my 720 used a quart in the time from when I did the initial break-in oil change at 8 hours up to 45 when they took it in and replaced it. That's a quart in 37 hours. It smoked like mad every single time I started it, sometimes so bad you couldn't see anything in the shop for several minutes. The Kawi I have now hasn't used any at all, and I hope it stays that way. All my other Kaw's have been good about it too.