Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2011, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

What to charge for leaves

What should I charge for cleaning up leaves? Some yards still need a couple more mowings but the leaves are starting to come down. So what should I charge for leave removal on just a regular size yard?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the size of the lawn and trees. A clean up for a 5000 sq ft lawn with massive oak trees is much more than a 7000 sq ft lawn with a couple small maples in a new development. I base my clean up prices on the price to mow the lawn and multiply by leaf cover and how much time I estimate it would take to do it.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed MN Commercial Pesticide Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011.
22 Years Old.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I charge almost the same as mowing but i do charge $15 for haul away and an extra $5 for the extra blowing i have to do, then again i have a leaf loader on the back of my zero turn with multching blades and the leaf loader i can do it in almost the same ammount of time as mowing.. it really depends on how quick you can do it and what way your doing it
Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

very hard to answer this question for you...why? because I/we dont know anything about the yard...size, leaf cover. What does the home owner expect? What type of equipment do you have? what type of landscaping if any????????????????????????????so many questions. Take a pic of a proposed yard , then ask.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

OK thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

This is my first year doing leaves, I bought a bagger for my walk behind and I figured it would take me twice as long to do the job with a decent amount of leaves to to collect them and bag them. Then it would take me another 30 minutes to drive to the dump site. So basically for a small yard that I charge $25 to just mow, I figured it would take me 3 times as long to finish the job plush fees for dumping, so I would charge $75 to do this. I don't know if this is reasonable or not as the leaves have just stated to fall here and so I haven't done this for any of my customers yet. But either way its still a case by case basis for any yard.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I usually know how much time it takes by looking. Most customers want to have a idea what there going to pay. If someone told me it was $x per hour I would question if they knew what they were doing. You will learn on your own and get a feel for how long it will take. I get tons of cleanups because a lot of LCO charge per hour. The reason I think they do this is they have no idea or the can't relay on there help working smart. On the last note big blowers and big mowers for larger properties with lots of trees. If your not setup for it or it looks bigger than you want to do pass on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

It is the hardest question.
It all depends on the lot size, tree amount, tree sizes, hauling, disposal, gas.....
You get the point, why don't you be honest and ask your client how much they paid for the service last year... normally they will tell you the honest price.
And add a few bucks to it, normally they will change services because they had bad service (low price = bad service) or the last guy thought it was not worth working for that rate anymore so you _NEED_ to charge a bit more.
Just add to the argument that costs have risen, they will understand and pay you for the extra you ask.
Honesty always pays off.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Charge what you think the job and your skills are worth. Personaly two men, two blowers, and a Walker mower I charge $70per hr.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I blow all leaves into the yard then mulch and pick up with mower. I charge the regular mowing charge plus $6 per 45 gal size bag I collect. The customer is advised of that prior to commencing work. If I pick up 25 bags of leaves, the charge is mowing price plus $150.00.
Posted via Mobile Device