Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Seriously!!! What kind of grass/weed is this?

I have been fighting this stuff for 2 years now and its starting to get out of control. I have put down EVERY single over the counter stuff available at home depot/lowes I can find. Iv used that bayer crabgrass stuff, nutsedge, scotts turf builder with weed, numerous hose sprayer stuff, concentrated stuff... im not joking, almost every single product, I have used and this stuff will NOT die!!

it almost looks like a mini st. augustine grass, but its not. it starts in little clumps and is a light lime green color... some of them even have a little purple in it is seems?

anyway, anything short of tearing entire yard up and starting fresh, how can I get rid of this? I thought of spot treating with roundup or something, but that really wouldnt work as its all over now. It seems like when i fertilize and ironite my lawn, this stuff grows in more instead of my bermuda!!
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hard to tell with it cut short, can you post a picture with it grown a bit or even better a blade with the root attached.

I'm guessing crabgrass or foxtail but your description with a little purple in it I'm leaning more toward crabgrass.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-05-2012, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I just cut it yesterday, so be a while before i can post it longer. But i can pull some up tonight after work and post a pic with the roots.

crazy if it is crabgrass because i have put down so much crabgrass killer its not funny...
Old 06-05-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00bolt View Post
I just cut it yesterday, so be a while before i can post it longer. But i can pull some up tonight after work and post a pic with the roots.

crazy if it is crabgrass because i have put down so much crabgrass killer its not funny...
Yea, that will do but get the tallest one you can find and we'll go from there.

That stuff from the box stores is so watered down you can practically drink it, don't surprise me none.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-05-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

so MSMA is my best bet? (if i can find some?)
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
so MSMA is my best bet? (if i can find some?)
2,4-D

MSMA has been took off the market by the EPA

Then God created Women
Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

so would i need to spot treat or could i just spray over the bermuda and not harm it? there is an ace hardware right next to my work, i may go grab some on my lunch and put it down tonight.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

i was reading online and from what i ready, that 2,4-D doesnt kill crabgrass if it is indeed crabgrass. is this true?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
i was reading online and from what i ready, that 2,4-D doesnt kill crabgrass if it is indeed crabgrass. is this true?
Just looked at the label and your right, not listed but I've used it for crabgrass and it works.

Try a tree way like speedzone or trimec but my 2,4-D has killed a many many crabgrass.

Just be careful with drift as with any herb and spray as directed or you'll kill more then you expect.

Then God created Women
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

im thinking of just throwing down some st. Augustine sod and letting it take over my front yard, this stuff would be hidden.