Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-04-2000, 07:55 AM
Millenium Member

I was talking to a friend of mine that owns a local resturant the other day and asked him about his lawn care, he has a rather large lawn at 7 acres and I mow in his area. He said I get a pretty good deal right now, the fella mowing it charges $70 a week and mows my dad's lawn for $100 a week (10 acres!).

After I picked myself off the floor and dislodged the food from my throat, I assured him he better keep his current lawn guy. I even suggested catering to him since an idiot like that does'nt come around often.

Ray
Old 08-04-2000, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Ray-

OH Boy -- you did it now, the "S" word is going to be flying over this one. The problem is that your buddy probably didn't think that it was that big of a "discounted" price. How does this guy do it for $10 an acre. Does he have a 24 foot batwing or something so he's there an hour.... Boy we must be doing something wrong if we can't make a profit at $10 an acre I wonder what he would charge for a residential and if he want's to come and sub out to me????

Mike
Greenkeepers
Old 08-04-2000, 04:51 PM

He must be a ******. No offense to some of you ******s out their.
Old 08-04-2000, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Charles, I always get a good laugh from you!!

Ray, It's amazing how many people out there in our field bust their A$$'s just to be able to afford to stay in business. Sad, huh! At least you know your making money!! You should find out when that guy cuts and check out his operation and let us know how long he takes there, the equipment he's using, etc. I'd be curious to know how he can charge so low and "make it". Maybe hes retired or something and just does it to keep busy?? Who Knows?? Anythings possible after seeing that guy haul a trailer on his bike!!

Old 08-04-2000, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ray, If this guy is a good friend of yours, than you better advise him he's treading in dangerous waters. If this "lawn guy" gets hurt on any one of your friends properties, who do you think may end up paying for the injury or hospitalization? OR if the guy throws a rock and hits one of his customers (Lord forbid). Chances are, the guy just isn't insured if he's charging a dollar two ninety eight. What's MORE than that is that this guy sounds like a rank amateur on top of that, so he wouldn't know operator safety if it came up and bit him in the ...! We just never give much thought to these things until something happens.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-04-2000, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on what he mows the 7 acres with. A 6 foot finish mower behind a large ag tractor can do that in 1 1/2 hours, not a bad price depending on your area. Now, if he's doing the lawn with a 21 inch crapsman...

Bill
Old 08-05-2000, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you're in good company.
Lady called me 2 days ago & had a lawn overgrown & needed cut. I told her I had a $25 min. & she said "boy that seems kinda high". Smiles came to my face as I gave her the lawnsite oratory
Told her why we charge, cuz ins., WC, etc. & we're not a fly-by-night either. We have $XXX of equipment to maintain, etc. & we do a quality job, not just 'cut da grass'.
I refuse to load up & hook up for less than $25, & it'd be on a mowing day too; no load up just for 1 lawn, unless circumstances rendered it necessary.
Old 08-05-2000, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Unfortinately I'ts guys like this that screw up things for the rest of us. One idiot wants to work for $1.98 and customers start to think we all should. I am still trying to come up with a better way to help in educating customers what seperates pros from scrubs. Tired of preaching to Mrs. Smith about how I'm liscened, certified, insured, and provide a quality svc on a regular basis. Oh, well Mr. Scrub is still cheaper she says. If Mr.Scrub would adhere to the rules like most of us it would be amazing what we could charge for our services.
Old 08-05-2000, 10:58 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
stinger wrote:

>If Mr.Scrub would adhere to the rules like most of us it would be amazing what we could charge for our services.

Rules are made to be broken. Or why would the powers that be not have different levels of punishment for each law.

Once you move up the food chain Mr. Scrub has no effect on your outcome.
Old 08-05-2000, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

At $10/acre, he can't stay in business that long. Unfortunately we have to deal with fly-by-nighters who thing this is easy work and quote that way.