Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2000, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

LITTLE GREEN GUY

I think the last thing Bill is doing is bringing the industry down!!! The people that are bringing us down are the ones working out of moms trunk charging $10 a lawn. He's not saying he'd charge the same he's just making a point that THERE IS NO GOING RATE!!!! Your price should reflect your overhead. If he can cut faster with his equipment, his price might be different than yours with 22" mowers, ya know?? If your making what you want to for a profit, after your overhead and other expenses, whats the problem?? I'm not going to try to make an extra $10 just to loose a good job to someone else.

The people that can't price and are bringing the industry down are the ones who don't understand how to price their work and ask over and over again how do I price this kind of Job and how do I price that kind of job, etc. ITS ALL THE SAME!!! It's the people that are working just to keep their business a float. If you can make a high profit and stay below the competition's prices, why not??? It's not the same thing as lowballing.

Old 08-07-2000, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It was an example of how things like overhead can affect the bottom line and doesnt in any way reflect my pricing policy. I wouldnt mow a 7 acre lot for $200. Not with the equipment I have.

My whole point was to try and illustrate how someone could price a job that some of you think is completely outlandish. No, it probably doesnt make good business sense (or is it necessary) to price below the market but some people do, either out of some misguided ethics thing or just plain ignorance.

I have, in the not too distant past, priced landscape jobs which netted me a decent profit, only to find out later that I could have recieved 3x the amount and have been competitive. Did I lose money? Not by a long shot. But not knowing what my competition was, like Mr $10/acre probably doesnt either, I left money on the table.

For all we know Mr $10/acre is quite happy collecting his beer money, and will stop mowing lawns once his equipment makes its final run, so has no worries about future expenses. The one who will really take the hit, though, is Mr customer when he spends 3 weeks calling co's and cant figure why "there prices are so high" when in fact their prices will most likely be where Mr $10/acre should/could have been all along.
Old 08-07-2000, 07:43 AM

oH YEA bILL, while my lazer is still running like a swiss watch many years down the road. I be eating Lobster while your family is eating porkin beans. Just messin with ya
Old 08-07-2000, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fine by me. I OD'd on too much lobster and cheap beer many years ago, now just the sight of those ocean-going spiders makes me wretch. Give me a can of B&M any day over seabugs!!!
Old 08-08-2000, 12:28 AM

Lawnguy and Guido- sorry i didn't mean anything personal agianst thelawnguy it just came out differantly than I was thinking. I totaly understand and agree with what you are saying, my piont was just that if someone has a low overhead they should take advatage of it and charge as much as the guys with the higher overhaed and make more profit cause then there ahead of the game. Sorry if it sounded like i was bashing you lawnguy, In my own little twisted mind i ment something else, I know you're not a "scrub"

[Edited by little green guy on 08-08-2000 at 04:35 AM]
Old 08-08-2000, 12:31 AM

Guido

that red face scares me

[Edited by little green guy on 08-08-2000 at 04:34 AM]
Old 08-08-2000, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

SORRY!

Quote:
Originally posted by little green guy
that red face scares me

[Edited by little green guy on 08-08-2000 at 04:34 AM]
Sorry LGG, I get carried away with all these neat little faces!! Didn't mean anything by it!!

Old 08-08-2000, 12:40 PM
Millenium Member

I have found it surprising that some have come to the defense of this charge. Think about it, $10.00 to mow an acre of grass, after fuel and the other expenses how much is left? And as it was pointed out I also don't see how he has insurance to cover for any accidents.

Just think, my friend tells his friends "my lawn guy mows my lawn for $10 an acre", how does it look when we charge $25.00-$35.00 for a normal size 8000sf home lawn?

As Charles said:
Quote:
Bigger, faster equipment NEVER EVER should mean you charge a lot less money than the going job price. Penalizing yourself in this way so that you make less profit than you could have is just plain ******ed.
I agree 100%, if I was to mow a lawn with a 21" mower and charge $30.00, when I finally saved enough money to buy a $7000.00 mower I would not drop my prices just because it takes me less time! If you are bidding on a new property with that mindset it's the same thing!