Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-30-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blevins View Post
First to hear you say they are joke makes me wonder if you tried to become one and got turned down. unfortunately not everyone can become a Grounds Guys franchise owner. There is certain criteria you have to meet. i went to Waco with my wife to check them out. Class act bunch of people who also own and sale 6 other franchises in the service industry. The one i recognized right off was The Glass Doctor.Anyway we stayed in touch and went over our business plans and decided to buy a franchise. Me being a firefighter I got a pretty good discount off the price of my franchise. We were somewhere around #82 franchise. There are around 165 franchises now. We started April 1st 2013 as The Grounds Guys of the tri-cities. We grew our business with the Grounds Guys help to more than double. So far in 2014 we have doubled that number already. Someone asked do they get you customers? Yep. Do they help you grow your business? Yep. They have systems and they have people with knowledge of the industry guiding and helping you in every way possible to help you succeed. Is it guaranteed your going to make it and not fail? NOPE! You have to do your part too. Is it stress full? HELL YES! but owning any business is stressful at times. Are you going to see eye to eye with your franchise consultant all the time ? NOPE. Its not for everyone but it has helped me with many different aspects of the business. There are so many people out there not making a dime doing this business. The Grounds Guys have taught me about setting goals, getting my numbers where they need to be, profit and loss statements, advertising for results, etc,etc,. I have a legit business now that is growing very fast and I am learning something new just about daily about this business. I have access to 165 other business owners just like me who have a wealth of business and field knowledge. I get national pricing on John deere,Exmark,Redmax, etc. that comes to about 45% off mowing equipment. A lot more that fleet pricing. I have access to vendors who offer services like payroll, workman's comp, ALOT cheaper than I could ever get it by myself. There are so many vendors that offer me discounts just because I am a Grounds Guy franchise owner. Great gig cant wait to get out in the field tomorrow!

Very thorough response; thank you. When you say "doubled" can you elaborate a little bit on that? Maybe you went from 20 accounts to 40 accounts; maybe you can give the size of your "average" account as well.

Reason I ask is; for example; say year 1 you had 10 accounts. It would be very easy to double the following year.

I believe you double; but would like to know how aggressive your "double" has been since being with Ground Guys.

Thank you very much.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I spoke with them earlier this year. The lady I talked with was very nice, I spent a few hours talking with her. I was seriously considering it, then I walked out and looked at my name on the side of my truck and remembered that I started that from nothing, why can't I grow it on my own? Just wasn't for me, I don't want to have to ask somebody if I'm allowed to do something in MY business. I take pride in doing it myself even if it takes longer. Nothing wrong with them though, they seem like a legit company I would try if I was a consumer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are that uncomfortable with competition, then you are in trouble! Honestly, YOU ARE YOUR OWN COMPETITION! Look in the mirror when you lose a client. The other guy was there to catch them falling away from you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2014, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

The beauty of franchising is that it is still YOUR company. The benefits you get are significant. Buying power, peer support, a consultant working with you weekly / monthly, brand presence, systems, marketing support, regional & national contract opportunities, ongoing business & technical training just to name a few things.

You will reach plateaus as you grow your business. The support you receive being a franchise will help guide you through those tough times.

It is a fraternity of business owners all focused on providing High Quality Service to their clients while maintaining high levels of efficiency and profit alnong the way.

You can get there without this support for sure. But in their system, you can get there quicker, make less mistakes, and have more fun doing it along the way. The investment pays for itself many many times over.

Stay in touch with her, I'm sure their door is still open for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Hitter View Post
The beauty of franchising is that it is still YOUR company. The benefits you get are significant. Buying power, peer support, a consultant working with you weekly / monthly, brand presence, systems, marketing support, regional & national contract opportunities, ongoing business & technical training just to name a few things.

You will reach plateaus as you grow your business. The support you receive being a franchise will help guide you through those tough times.

It is a fraternity of business owners all focused on providing High Quality Service to their clients while maintaining high levels of efficiency and profit alnong the way.

You can get there without this support for sure. But in their system, you can get there quicker, make less mistakes, and have more fun doing it along the way. The investment pays for itself many many times over.

Stay in touch with her, I'm sure their door is still open for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

What else can you tell us about the franchise? Are you with one/which one? When you say their marketing support, do your royalty fees pay for marketing materials or do you kick extra in for that?

Please indulge! Thank you.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I think Big Hitter is a sales guy for them... Only a few post, doubt he is even from Cols, Ohio

Bucket Truck/Chipper

Landscapes/Hardscapes

7 Trucks
2 Loaders
1 Mini skid steer
A Army of MEN

Old 08-03-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think a franchise like this is good for SOME people. Some people only have the business skills to run a 1 truck operation and dont know what or how to scale up from that to a really big business. Im sure grounds guys provides all that support to show you how to do it.

If you have a few trucks on the road, know how to market to get new business and can manage your guys then maybe its not for you.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Big Hitter you should come back and defend yourself... You are covering the ground guys to a point that is questionable...
Old 09-23-2014, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

A franchise could be worth it if you don't have any business experience what so ever nor any lawn experience. Then again I don't know who has zero business experience but 100k laying around. I would invest that 100k in some nice looking uniforms, get a haircut, and go knock on the doors of property managers. Put the remaining $99,923 in an IRA.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They have called me the last couple seasons. I tell them I already dominate the online market and I am not interested. They call back 1 year later and repeat.