Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2011, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Insurance Situation (Equipment Insurance)

Hi,
This is my first time posting on this site. I have a 2001 Bobcat model 863 that has 610 easy hours on it. It was essentially a beautiful, strong machine that was housed indoors for the first eight years of it's life. A few months ago, I took it to a service station and the attendant, who let me know it was not a self serve station, put gasoline in it instead of diesel. I had a $100,000.00 equipment insurance policy it appears that having insurance is great until you actually need it. More on topic, I ran it for 15/20 minutes and shut it down, as it was running rough. My friend who is a master diesel mechanic had just that morning, replaced a fuel line for me and insisted that I get fuel before going to the job site. I did and when it was running rough, I thought it may have been air in the system that had to work it's way out. After the 20 minutes, I shut it down and left it alone for the day. When that afternoon I started it back up again and I could smell the burnt scent of gasoline. I immediately shut the machine down and deciphered what had happened. A local Bobcat dealer changed the filters and drained the fuel, ignition coils, and the injector pump. It has been said that it is running alright and that there is still a smell of diesel in the oil chamber. I am leary of taking the machine back as I know that diesel washes all of the lubricating qualities of the diesel off of the engine. There is no way to tell the level of damage as far as I know. Has anyone delt with anything like this before. I appreciate any feedback, as I feel as though I am getting the short end of the stick. Thank you.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The gas station should be paying for everything. How could you let someone put gas in your diesel????????????????????????????????????????
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

There was a lot going on that morning and when he insisted on fueling, I trusted him. It wasn't a kid and my ins. co. is going after theirs. I guess I am more interested in getting someones opinion about the insurance situation, if they have ever delt with a company wanting to put a band-aid approach on a very serious situation when you have got the coverage. I don't need info. on diesel engines as my friend is an old time diesel mechanic who was with the T for thirty some odd years and does all the work for a neighboring town's loaders. He is quite accomplished in this area.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I smell a new machine bought by the fuel station

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 10-25-2011, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Landscape View Post
Hi,
I had a $100,000.00 equipment insurance policy it appears that having insurance is great until you actually need it. .
I worked as an insurance claims investigator so I do know something about the process.

Are you saying that a certified diesel mechanic is telling you that the machine cannot be repaired the way they are offering to repair it? If so you need to document that fact. Who is your Insurance carrier? How much would it cost to repair or replace this property?

Get estimates for the repair or replacement that you want. If your machine does not operate properly notify the insurance company and request authorization of liability to start renting equipment.

Insurance companies operate on documentation. The higher the stack of paper the more valid the claim. A lot of times it is about all the right paper work to put the claim through. Talk to the claim examiner, tell him you need a new engine. Ask what kind of documentation would be needed? Keep copies of everything. If you do not get satisfaction, ask to speak to the supervisor. Be polite but persistent.

There are companies called public adjusters who for a fee handle insurance claims. They are cheaper and often better than lawyers. But a lawyer can often be a lot of help.

Tags
breakdowns , diesel issues , equipment issues , gasoline into a diesel , insurance