Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Spoken Like the Truth?

I'm not trying to bust anyone in particular with this post, as I know everyone has a opinion about everything, myself included, but if you will notice, many, many posts have opinions expressed as fact, with seldom any data to back that up.

One example is the mowing of overgrown properties with a Z. Any thread dealing with that will have a few saying how hard it is on your mower, etc, etc. Okay, but does anyone have anything to back that up? Is it really that hard on your mower, if you use your head? Anyone ever blown a hydro mowing 18 inch grass? Any broken belts, overheated or blown engines? Burned out PTO clutch? In other words, do you THINK it is hard on a mower, or has past experience proven that to you?

It is the same as issues like oil change intervals, filter use, and type or viscosity of oil. I've seen probably a dozen threads about which type oil to use, and every time you see lots of opinons expressed, mine as well, but, in the case of myself at least, I'm basing most of those opinions on what I've read, rather than actual experience. For those that blast dino oil, have you run dino and synthetic oils in identical engines and had the dino lubricated engine fail sooner? Have you changed oil at 100 hrs on one engine, 50 hrs on another identical engine, and seen a major difference in the engine life? Do your engines actually last longer with Wix filters than Fram?

I am just wondering how often opinions are stated as fact, when, in fact, the poster doesn't have a clue?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Does it take a rocket science degree and 20 years experience to feel an engine rpm lower as it moves through a weeks average growth into extra tall grass?

Problem with extra stress, is some are willing to say well I'll do it just once and will get away with it. The problem is they find themselves in a bind and say once more won't hurt. The point it eventually does. But the to late point never gets detected until the line has been crossed.

This is why it is better to use your old back up mower. Or rent the required machine and charge the customer appropriately.

With the price of equipment why treat it in a manner that will shorten it's life?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let's not confuse opinion with comment. You can have an opinion without direct experience or knowledge. Is that really helpful to someone else? Probably not. You can just be following the sheeple as well. I put more stock in someones direct experience with a product or situation. Does is apply 100% to me or anyone else? Not likely, buts that's why we supposedly have the power to reason. I'm amazed at how many people think Wikipedia is a fully verified informational source.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2011, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes you can tell who knows what he is talking about and who doesnt. Never had a mtr fail with a Fram filter, been using them over 40 years. But some blast them. Never had a mtr fail with Penn 10W30 either but some blast it. Have seen the difference between dino and syn oil on my race mtrs. So I know there is a difference. What gets me the most and alot on here say this. What ever the manual says is gospel. So they do what ever the manual says, filters, oil, greasing etc. My own personal opinion they dont have much experience. The older guys I worked with at the Power Plants didnt have a degree but had tons of experience you could learn alot from them. But the newer College guys would not ask them or listen to them on anything. They would actually say where did you get your degree. After you read some stuff some post you can figure it out.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the manufacturer says to you 900 weight pink oil with blue stripes to maintain my warrantly that is what I am using, at least for the time of the warranty. I will do my part to do what the manufacturer says needs to be done - just like the guard no guard decussion on weed whackers, if the manufacturer says the warranty if void with out, mine is on. I don't have money to burn or throw away to save a nickle today which will cost my a dollar tomorrow and how many seconds to you save by not walking around to the other side of the bush when you are weed whacking compared to the cost of a new one.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

@moturkey - good post - there seems to be a lot of conversation about new guys and low balling and how stupid the other guy is or isn't - the idea of real information coming from experience or from scientific research is important as long as we know from whence it came. Which leads me to think about figuring cost - if we have a realy discussion on how people really figure out their overhead and how and why it is important - then and only then will the low baller understand the slippery road he/she is on.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a thought as this thread goes forward. When it comes to the experience you are talking about, it is important to mention if you are a solo or have employees. Care,maintenance, lifetime, reliability, etc. of equipment being run by employees is in a world of its own compared to solo.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

@keystone, not only is the experience different, but I think the mindset is also. It would be great to see more meaningful discussions.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All I can say is to try to be truthful and factual. If you're wrong admit you're wrong and move on. I've had to do that a bunch of times myself.

The reason I'm here is to network with my peers, get ideas and inspiration, and to help others if I can.

BTW, I have cut a bunch of oil filters open to see what's actually in them. I'll pass on the Fram thank you.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That's the Internet for ya..they are known as "arm chair experts". No real experience, just someone behind a computer pretending to be someone they are not. Another term I learned in the corporate world was "water cooler talk". Just because your buddy says so or you over heard someone doesn't make it true.