Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2011, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Echo Bed Redefiner

I am looking into buying an Echo Bed Redefiner but want to know first how any of you who use them or have used them in the past have liked them. I have read and heard that they will not cut in a new bed. Do they really work as well as Echo makes them out to be. Have you had any problems with them before?

I have used larger self propelled units before to Redefine beds and haven't been exactly satisfied with them. I know a lot of times the best result comes from a sharp shovel but really looking for something faster then that.

If you have any experience or even photos of an end result, please post them and let me know how you like them or do not like them and if it is worth purhasing.

Thanks!!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

They are a piece of junk i would not recommend them to my worst enemy.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a BRD-280. The machine really does work, really well.

I will say that I bought it with the belief that I'd use it every day and it would save me tons of time and make my jobs look way more professional. The reality is that it doesn't get used nearly as much as I thought it would.

It's called a BRD, bed RE definer. It does really quick work for touching the lines up on a flowerbed. It does get bogged down a little bit if you're making a completely new bed and have to cut through untouched grass and soil to make the lines.

It makes a good, deep cut/drop off for the mulch to sit in.

If the soil is wet, mud will cake up on the inner part of the shield and cause a lot of friction at the blade, which slows the blade down and makes the machine work a LOT harder and slower.

My fix for that is to just carry a putty knife and scrape it away when you notice the machine struggling. It takes 5-10 seconds.

So if you ACTUALLY have the work to support such a specialized tool, then buy it. It would certainly be worth your money.

If all you do are a couple of flowerbeds a week/month, save the $600 and use a stick edger, the end result is almost the same.

I'll try to take some pics soon of a jobsite with the beds redefined. Might stop by it tonight.
2006 Kubota 9540 w/8 foot galvanized Modern shredder
Gravely 36 inch walk-behinds
Echo and Shindiawa handhelds
16x8.5 Enclosed
24x8.5 Enclosed
16x8.5 Heavy Duty tandem trailer

Last edited by FoghornLeghorn; 10-27-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Dingos stole my baby
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have one. Like it a lot. Struggles to cut a new edge in tough thick grass but it will do it.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCastille View Post
I have a BRD-280. The machine really does work, really well.

I will say that I bought it with the belief that I'd use it every day and it would save me tons of time and make my jobs look way more professional. The reality is that it doesn't get used nearly as much as I thought it would.

It's called a BRD, bed RE definer. It does really quick work for touching the lines up on a flowerbed. It does get bogged down a little bit if you're making a completely new bed and have to cut through untouched grass and soil to make the lines.

It makes a good, deep cut/drop off for the mulch to sit in.

If the soil is wet, mud will cake up on the inner part of the shield and cause a lot of friction at the blade, which slows the blade down and makes the machine work a LOT harder and slower.

My fix for that is to just carry a putty knife and scrape it away when you notice the machine struggling. It takes 5-10 seconds.

So if you ACTUALLY have the work to support such a specialized tool, then buy it. It would certainly be worth your money.

If all you do are a couple of flowerbeds a week/month, save the $600 and use a stick edger, the end result is almost the same.

I'll try to take some pics soon of a jobsite with the beds redefined. Might stop by it tonight.
Thanks for your time to post this, as I'm thinking of one of these too!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed one and was not impressed, maybe i did something wrong?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all of the comments so far!! Keep them coming, all very useful! I am trying to find a dealer around me that will let me demo a unit so I can try it out for myself but def. keeping all of your responses in my head.

Thanks!!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a link to a thread I started about the same tool. Just a few more posts for you...

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=362703

Last edited by ron mexico75; 10-28-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 10-28-2011, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We demoed one in the spring. Kt was ok for sprucing up an edge but not for cutting an actual edge in the fashion that we like to cut them. This doesn't mean it may not work well for you. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2011, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Here is a link to a thread I started about the same tool. Just a few more posts for you...

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=362703
Very useful! Thank you!