Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have it and it works pretty well. Doesn't do a good job in wet soil, a bigger machine is much better in these conditions. I always hit the edges twice. It will cut new edges in, go slow for the first cut, then clean it up with a second go. The second go around makes a big difference and doesn't add much time. Its great for tight tree rings. I like it. Obviously not as powerful as a pull behind unit, but its light weight and maneuverability makes up for it. Most mulch jobs I just include this service in the price at no additional cost. its quick and looks good. We also swap out the bit for a regular edging blade and use it for sidewalks as well to get even more use out of it. I wish it had a larger engine. The aluminum guard has also needed replacing twice as it cracked in the same place both times.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one and it sits in the shop a lot.

The first year I had it, we had a dry spring and it was great to do edges on my regular mulch properties that had been edged before. A great touch-up tool.

MUST be dry out to effectively use the thing... I scrape mine off all the time also- like someone said earlier.

Could I have got away without buying it? Sure.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 10-31-2011, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It looks lik a nice machine,i have never used one before.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat48 View Post
It looks lik a nice machine,i have never used one before.
Nice, very nice indeed...

I have used this piece of crap 8 times maybe? Total operation time of 1.5 hours in almost a year.

This machine will clog up at even the slightest hint of soil moisture. It is underpowered even with the 280 motor, it needs the 42cc motor that's in the top of the line brushcutter.

Don't buy this tool, use an edger with a sharp blade or get a trenchblade for your edger. This tool is an edger with aluminum housing meant to support the rotational weight of a small edger blade, not a huge 3 fingered carbide blade.

Echo needs to go back to the drawing board on this product.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCastille View Post

I have used this piece of crap 8 times maybe? Total operation time of 1.5 hours in almost a year.

This machine will clog up at even the slightest hint of soil moisture. It is underpowered even with the 280 motor, it needs the 42cc motor that's in the top of the line brushcutter.

Don't buy this tool, use an edger with a sharp blade or get a trenchblade for your edger. This tool is an edger with aluminum housing meant to support the rotational weight of a small edger blade, not a huge 3 fingered carbide blade.

Wow, I would expect way more from a 600 dollar piece of equipment.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I own one, I like it a lot. I can prep an existing edge on a bed very, very fast. A large lot with 400 feet of edging would be 2 or 3 hours work for 2 guys to cut the edge and remove the material. With this thing I can do it alone in 10 minutes. And there is nothing to clean out or haul off, everything is pulverized. Just run the blower after to disperse the stuff.

It cost me $600. But if I can save 1 to 3 hours of labor on the 20 or 30 mulch jobs we do every spring, I think it is a very valuable tool. I still charge the customer the same. This was my 2nd season, I'll probably get 8 more years out of it. Huge ROI.

Now for those guys that feel that they need to expose 3 inches of the profile of the dirt before you see mulch, it will not work. It only cuts about 2.5 inches down. But I fill my edges with mulch anyway, I like the way it looks when the edge is full up to the grass. I have no customer complaints from the BDR cuts.

I now cut new beds with it too. I just run it over 2 or 3 times. Beats shoveling.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

HMM, I have not tried the brd 280 but have tried similiar tools, they all caused me to learn to do a nice job on the edges with my weed whacker so I get a nice square edge and keep it, If I need to cut a new bed I will rent the real bed cutter.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCastille View Post

how the heck did that happen to the machine, did it do it to itself or did you get to the point of no return with frustration and busted it against concrete?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bluebird is the way to go for bed edging. Echo makes good stuff, but its bed edger is not enough to do the job well, I beleive.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use mine in conjunction with my Mantis mini tiller. I take one side of the tiller blades off, use it to cut the new edge, then use the the redefiner to clean it up and clear the dirt that spills into the new cut. I finish with my string trimmer with an edgit.....that is what make the edge sharp and defined.... It has its purpose but I will not wrestle it to cut a new edge....it takes to long. As stated dry ground is the best time to use it......

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama