Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Unless you have a considerable amount of snow each winter your probably better off delivering pizzas. This area is loaded with $15-$25 per drive types. 120' estate driveways plowed for $35.

Winter before last barely 4 nominal snow falls. Lots of legit guys lost their shirts. Last winter just shy of 15 events.

This is the land of lowball sprinkler blow outs. One Co advertises "we will beat ANY competitors price on blow outs". I.belive this is an.attempt to.get.their foot in.the door for.other.landscape and maintenance work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes there is lots of lowballers out there that make it harder for everyone else. They lowball everyone else and then once they have a huge workload, they cant keep up with expenses and wind up going out of buisness because they have no clue what expenses are and think that what they make off of everything is just pure profit. . Then when one of us who knows what we need to charge comes in to replace them, the customer says my last guy did it for "X" amount making us look like we are trying to rip them off. My belief is that if you dont know what to charge, you probably shouldnt be doing it in the first place.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The area you are in is going to dictate the rate you can charge. Here in Erie, 25 for a average city drive and walk is about right. Most important though, don't charge low just to build a route. Better to have a reasonable rate to fit your area and build slowly than charge low and end up with a full route of cheap accounts. Do your best to figure the going rate in your area. Talk to friends or relatives who use snow services to see what they are paying. In the beginning your hourly gross isn't going to be the best. Once you have filled in your route your hourly gross will get much better. Takes time to build a solid route. Good Luck.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 10-29-2011, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i know most dont like the idea but i use contracts with both res and comm accounts because ive asked around and thats what all the other guys in this area are doing, they say it so that both the lco and the home/business owner know what to expect and so on.

on the side note we are supposed to get 6 to 10 in of snow tonight.
so well see how things go.

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 10-29-2011, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyclass View Post
Everyone is saying stay away from salting which i probably will now. But what if they ask for it......charge pretty high for it so i they want it i get good money for it and if they say no then no harm on me?
You sound young and let your enthusiasm get you seeing $$$$$ to easily.

You can't charge crazy just because a customer wants salt.

Yes there can be harm to you. When you start giving crazy quotes people are not going to want to do business with you and you will hurt your chances of up selling other things to them. Or them considering you to comeback in the spring to give estimates to do landscaping for them.

Also fisrt year did not get much business.
Second year did much better. Enough to again next year.
Third year, I had more people then I could get to on a couple of storms so I added a second blower. Did well.

So be prepared to not do so well at first.

Also what state do you live in?
Average snowfall over the last ten years?
Old 10-29-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Also add this to think about. You may not make enough money the first year to pay back what your blowers cost let alone make profit enough to buy landscape equipment.

But you'll have the blowers for the years to come.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Home owners are not going to care either way for the most part. The are going to care about the price a lot more.

I had some ( very few ) home owners that assumed a snow blower could not do their property. To those I would say that I have large 2 stage blowers and have been doing this for years. Being they didn't know anyone else they let me do their property. I never disappointed them.
I couldnt disagree with you more. We keep getting more and more customers requesting snow blowing instead of plowing and their number one complaint is a torn up lawn and scratches in their drive. Price is their least concern.
16' Landscape trailer
2008 Toro Z500
2007 Toro 21" commercial
2007 Toro 40" commercial
2008 Craftsman 33"
2008 Bluebird S22
2009 Pluger 400
And a whole lotta other stuff