Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2002, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cat and Deere's new C-Series Excavators...Let's hear it

Hey guys. Got bored so I went and checked out JD's website. Their new C Series looks pretty nice and I can't wait 'til I get the chance to run one. I liked the last series, I ran a 200LC which was a nice machine, but I've never run a Cat. How do these two machines compare? I know there isn't alot of difference, but does anyone know of where there are any? I'd like to use this info when I'm BSing with the local contractors. LOL. Thanks guys!

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 02-08-2004, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I have operated a 200clc and they are a pretty smooth machine. I haven't got a chance to run a new cat but the old cat b model didn't impress me.l
Old 02-09-2004, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My uncle's company did the preliminary grading for the 1933 worlds fair in Chicago in a Cat, and all we own are Cat products, so, I guess I am a bit prejudice. Cat has numerous advantages to any other brand....First, they allow the engineers to design thier products, then the bean counters come in and determine what they should be sold for.

With Deere, Komatsu, or any other, the bean counters tell the engineers what budget they have to build a certain machine, and the engineers oblige them...You truely get what you pay for in this scenario, as the equipment will not out perform a Cat, will not out last a Cat, and will not hold it's resale value like a Cat. Plus, if in the event you have an issue with a Cat, parts are never more than a day away, unlike JD or Komatsu, where I have seen people wait 6 weeks for parts while they make payments on thier machine....
If yuo want power, go Cat...
As far as controls, hands down, Cat is easier to operate...They say nothing runs like a Deere, but if you want nine lives, you will need a Cat.

Just my opinon!!!
www.naturescapelandscape.com
Old 02-09-2004, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
First, they allow the engineers to design thier products, then the bean counters come in and determine what they should be sold for.
Very true statement. My uncle (retired now) was an engineer for Cat. Best heavy equipment out there IMO.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

The new Deere Machines are esentially Hitachi machines painted yellow now that Deere is in partners with Hitachi construction equipment.

For forestry use the Hitachi is hard to beat a EX-300 EX-400s are used they get well used and abused digging in blast rock all day long. They have tried the new Deere machines they are good except for the Deere engines are noisier.

The excavators any size in this area are built heavy with hiwalk under carriage with heavier subframes etc. The belly pans are thicker the machine has forestry guarding on the sides and over the cab. A hydraulic thumb is a must if the machine doesn't have one it is pretty much useless for doing anything but digging in sand.

Cat excavators are not used here much a Hitachi,Deere or Kobelco are a better choice the Cat is more expensive to repair and doesn't last any longer digging in this area. When it comes to Dozers and Wheel loaders you can't beat Cat.

I wouldn't be worried about the LC200 John Deere it will do the job a Cat machine will do and you don't have to spend a fortune.

To give you a idea what digging is like in this area a EX-400 has no problem ripping the quick connects off the bucket or twising a cheek out of a bucket. When rebuilding buckets 5/8s and 1" steel is used in the high stress areas getting 6months to a year out of a bucket is pretty good.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

The deere/hitachi excavators are more then just hitachi. They are a combined effort between the both of them. With Deere own 51% of hitachi, they have to have some say in it. And deere powertech engines have some of the lowest d(b)a's in the industry and are easy on fuel. As far as parts go if any company can't get you with parts within 3-5 bussiness days they won't last long as a company.Deere HAS to have them there within so many Hours not weeks. And Uniscaper Nice birthday but I am 26 years later.Also you can beat a cat.... I do like cat backhoes but the rest you can keep. When it comes to buget I really think with Komatsu and Deere that they don't have any problem with forkin' over the green to build a machine. I haven't seen the lastest figures but Cat is loosing ground to its competitors. Just my .02 Justin
Old 02-10-2004, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We only had one Komatsu ever...It broke, took 6 weeks to get parts, and with what was saved, we lost over $35,000 in production, not to mention the cost of a rental while it was down..
Thus, the Komatsu cost more over the long haul. We have had 40 year old Cats that will outproduce Komatsu or Deere combined. So, you can run whatever you want...I'm sticking to what has always been the best for us.
www.naturescapelandscape.com
Old 02-12-2004, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are John Deere 120's good machines? They look like they are.

Blake
WA
Old 03-27-2004, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a site for all y'all:

http://www.syrsup.com/whatsnew/images/Tejb7012.pdf

It's a comparison between the Cat and Deere 20-tonne excavators.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry that comparision is a bit too much Cat bias you can tell they are sugar coating things a bit much I would take the Deere over the Cat.

Cat was bragging it up how their cab has better visability big whoop the machines used in this area get forestry guarding added to them ever window has bars over it. The forestry guarding adds a extra 1000lbs to the machine you can't safely do land clearing here with a machine without guarding. Those stock excavator cabs crush like a tin can when you drop a tree on them or a tree punches through the window killing the operator.

When it comes to repairing the Cat its cha ching because the parts used have to be genuine Cat so its cha ching. Cat doesn't have field mechanics anymore so you want your machine repaired lowbed it to the dealer more cha ching. John Deere/Hitachi has good service you need a field mechanic they can get to you the next day.

Sorry but Cat excavators are too expensive when John Deere or Hitachi do the same job for less money and give good service life.

A excavator used in this area see some pretty severe use you definatly don't want to buy a used excavator that come from B.C. its probably well worn out.