Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbieB View Post
I like your reply. Seems you have alot of free time. Instead of writing me a three paragraph response you should be out working. So I can just tell how your business is run.

But if it takes your crew half a day to clean .75 acres, you need to clean your crew up. They clearly arnt performing all that well. My yard is .75 acres with aprx 90 large trees and I can have it plown cleanly to the road for burning in under 1.25 hours. That's around all tress, beds and every picking up almost every leaf. That's by myself with a 7100 redmax. Now if I had a guy running my push blower I'd be done way faster. With a vac I could do my property in 1.5-2 hours. And would be happy with 2-300. I understand how business work.

Secondly, I'm not looking to spend a ton on a truck. All the small under cdl trucks are 10 k, the older bigger trucks that are cheap have air brakes. Plus you need a vehicle inspection sticker over 10,000 plus insurance etc. Don't forget laws very in every state.

I know it's the end of the season, that's my plan. Have time to think and research before I do anything. Also here in micigan things get real cheap this time of year. But I've looked at alot of set ups on this site. Some of them are amazing, some arnt even close to professional. I'm not looking to go all out and build a crazy rig, just looking to make money and offer honest pricing. For yeas people have been gravytraining leaf pickup. Now there going under because companys charge an arm and a leg, then wonder why they don't get call backs.

I never claimed to be a pro. I had an idea that I though could work. But seems like you guys are more into character bashing, than constructive criticism.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry that you see constructive criticism as character bashing. I guess the truth really does hurt!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why does it seem that everybody that does a project in their own yard automatically think that makes them a pro capable of running a business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2011, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Why does it seem that everybody that does a project in their own yard automatically think that makes them a pro capable of running a business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well he's obviously doing something right if he can clear leaves from 90 trees in just over an hour.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 10-29-2011, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Could you please advise me where to get dump trailers for $3,000 and leaf vacs for $1,800. Even used you'd have a hard time finding a dump trailer for that.

If you've already got ALL the equipment to use I could see doing just leaves to make some extra money. But to go buying equipment that is going to sit around for most of the year, I just can't see it. Maybe you could do the cleanups minus the removal part? Team up with someone who has a vac unit? You get them to the curb and he/she takes them away...that kind of deal.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

May want to check the news there the northeast is getting hammered with a freak snow storm. Its about 6 weeks early so the reason I am home is were in the middle of a winter storm and our leaves are not even down yet which is bad since they are too heavy now and breaking as we speak. But even if I had worked today I still would of been nice and helped with your questions when I got home.

I'll fill you in on something I do not give estimates for leaf clean ups I do not accept any from non customers why because I can not fit any more and have trouble doing the 100 plus I do every fall. As for riding high and getting rich nothing could be farther from the truth its just turning dollars. A necessary evil as part of our business. You hear the dollar amounts and get excited never realizing that lawns and the warm weather jobs are significantly more important to us. The days are shorter and colder and the jobs less routine and the result is 50% less revenue per month for Nov and Dec and that's when things go well sometimes its even more of a cut.

As for how I run my business start your own before you comment on someone that does a quarter-million a year in this tough highly competitive trade.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited by H & M Yard Improvements; 10-29-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

BTW - I think a V-6 Ford Ranger pulling a dump trailer with a full load of wet leaves is a great idea, lol.

And you really have a truck that you wouldn't want to put ANYTHING in the bed? Really? And I don't get it...you warm up your truck to drive 10 feet...what to get the newspaper out of the driveway? Please help me out here because I don't get it.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I heart noobies!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Look on Detroit craigslist, there's a few trailers in the 3-3500 range and several leaf loaders for 1,800. You can also work with people to get the prices lower.
There's no reason not to be working on a Sat at 4:30 when winters right around the corner?
Idk how much you know about Diesel's but mine is modded, and it is reccomened that you warm it up somewhat before you drive it. I didn't literally mean 10 feet, I mean if I want to run to the store, it takes time to warm it up, gas vehicle "beater" hop in and go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
btw - i think a v-6 ford ranger pulling a dump trailer with a full load of wet leaves is a great idea, lol.

And you really have a truck that you wouldn't want to put anything in the bed? Really? And i don't get it...you warm up your truck to drive 10 feet...what to get the newspaper out of the driveway? please help me out here because i don't get it.
roflmao!!!