Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Fly wheel will not spin

I have a craftsman mower with a 20 hp briggs and stratton intek. When I go to crank the flywheel will try and spin and then maybe spin a full turn and stop again. I have tried jumping it off and it still wont do it so im sure its not a electrical issue. The mower turned over fine the other week. I had a problem with gas getting in the oil due to a float and fixed all of that as well as changed the oil. I can remove the spark plug and the engine will turn over and the fly wheel spins fine. But when i put the spark plug back in it wont make the turns and it may spin a one or two times and then stop and act like it wants to spin it and move real slow and then maybe spin one or two times again. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Peyton
Old 10-30-2011, 04:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The intek BS twin is notorious for needing valve adjustments after the first 50 hours. Check the valve clearances. Unlike other engines you adjust BS engine with the piston 1/4 inch past TDC. I forget the factory spec on clearances but I usually adjust to .005 both intake and exhaust valves.