Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Jobless to Lawn Business??

HI everyone i'm new here actually my first post been browsing thru this site alot and getting lots of good info but my question is.....

Just lost my job few months ago and there is seriously no jobs out there so been thinking of next spring starting a landscaping biz. I have no knowledge and no equipment any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

moneyclass,
sorry for the job loss, this is however the perfect time to get up your clientele. First you need to get some basic knowledge, maybe read a book from home depot about lawns. Once you have a understanding of how high to cut the grass and how to edge a yard start getting your clients lined up. We used flyers to get our customer base up. If you are looking to get clients for mowing try putting out a flyer for fall yard and leaf clean up. This is a great way to up sell them maintenance services in the spring while giving you a little income. Some will ask you if you do other services any way. Try to put out as many flyers as possible like 10,000 asap. Good luck, spend a little money on your flyers and get some money coming in.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have money to buy equipment? Whats your budget? Do you have anything??? Tow vehicle? Trailer? Mower? Anything? And what is your motivation to get into lawncare? Is it something you have a passion for or does it just seem easy to get into?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks!!! Yeah ive been reading you need to spend alot in marketing to get your name out there.

Any advice on some equipment to start buying?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Do you have money to buy equipment? Whats your budget? Do you have anything??? Tow vehicle? Trailer? Mower? Anything? And what is your motivation to get into lawncare? Is it something you have a passion for or does it just seem easy to get into?
My budget that I have is around $7000. I have a ford ranger that I am going to use to get started i know done the road I will need a bigger truck. I really dont have any major equipment just my push mower and weed whacker that I used for own lawn. I figure what I need to get started is:

trailor
commerical mower
weed whacker
back pack blower
edger

Sound right or anything else?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyclass View Post
My budget that I have is around $7000. I have a ford ranger that I am going to use to get started i know done the road I will need a bigger truck. I really dont have any major equipment just my push mower and weed whacker that I used for own lawn. I figure what I need to get started is:

trailor
commerical mower
weed whacker
back pack blower
edger

Sound right or anything else?
Seems reasonable but I still think we need way more info to help you out. Where are you located? What are the average size lawns that you think you will be servicing? For example, tons of guys in Florida cut small lawns with 2 21" mowers all day long. In Michigan we have tons of guys towing around 2 60" zero turns and mowing all day long. This could be a difference between a 3/4 ton truck and a 16' trailer or just keeping your Ranger and getting a 10' trailer. Need more info buddy!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Seems reasonable but I still think we need way more info to help you out. Where are you located? What are the average size lawns that you think you will be servicing? For example, tons of guys in Florida cut small lawns with 2 21" mowers all day long. In Michigan we have tons of guys towing around 2 60" zero turns and mowing all day long. This could be a difference between a 3/4 ton truck and a 16' trailer or just keeping your Ranger and getting a 10' trailer. Need more info buddy!
In the cleveland ohio area. We have like half acres or like .3 acre lots nothing super big. With keeping my ranger I cant tow to much so was thinking of getting like a 5x8 trailor. and am looking at like a 48 or 52 inch zero turn mower.

Would you recommend a used mower or buy one brand new? Do mowers go on sale in the winter?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were you I would get a walk behind to start off with and not a zero turn. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined I would get a used one off craigslist or something like that. You can grow into a zero turn if your business thrives. Keep your costs down as much as you can because you will find that you are going to need to buy more and more stuff at you grow. Mowing seems to be a foot in the door to more profitable jobs like mulch, bush trimming, etc etc
Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
If I were you I would get a walk behind to start off with and not a zero turn. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined I would get a used one off craigslist or something like that. You can grow into a zero turn if your business thrives. Keep your costs down as much as you can because you will find that you are going to need to buy more and more stuff at you grow. Mowing seems to be a foot in the door to more profitable jobs like mulch, bush trimming, etc etc
Thanks for the help!!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

You might want to get a handheld blower to start and a good 21 inch mower. You don't. Really need a backpack blower until you do cleanups
Posted via Mobile Device