Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Valves in one box versus spread throughout lawn

Hey guys,

I have been doing quite a bit of research on irrigation, as I am looking to start offering the service one of these days. My question is, why do some systems have all of the valves in one manifold, in one valve box, running out to their individual zones, and other systems have valves spread throughout the lawn. Wouldn't the single valve box be much easier in the aspect that you wouldn't have to run wires all over the place, but instead, just from the main valve box to the controller. Someone please clear this up for me, because I have been trying to figure it out for a while.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you install with PVC pipe, laid in open trenches, the custom is to minimize the trenching. That leads to the decentralized designs, and wires laid in the trenches along with the pipe.

If you pull poly pipe instead, manifolds make much more sense.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
If you install with PVC pipe, laid in open trenches, the custom is to minimize the trenching. That leads to the decentralized designs, and wires laid in the trenches along with the pipe.

If you pull poly pipe instead, manifolds make much more sense.

See that's the thing, here in Missouri, guys are definitely pulling poly pipe, so I would assume that they just tuck the wire into the narrow slit from the blade and run it back to the controller. And also, why do some guys bury the valves in the dirt with no access box? I would think that you would want the valves easy to locate and access.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&JLawncare1988 View Post
And also, why do some guys bury the valves in the dirt with no access box?
Because some guys are just idiots. They do it for a few reasons. Save money on boxes, don't know any better, or it makes them look like they know what they are doing when they are called back to fix the valve and they know right were it is even though there is no box. But for the most part, they are just idiots.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Because some guys are just idiots. They do it for a few reasons. Save money on boxes, don't know any better, or it makes them look like they know what they are doing when they are called back to fix the valve and they know right were it is even though there is no box. But for the most part, they are just idiots.
Haha, that answers my question. I didn't think there was an advantage to burying the valves in dirt.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I could see it being an advantage on a baseball or football field, but there are still better options than just burying it.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's called "direct buried" and in the day of as-builts, brass valves and bullet-proof solenoids, there was no particular reason for valve boxes; you'd be dead before a service call was needed. These days, I'd prolly spot a single valve in a jumbo just to keep track of it, 'cause I know I'll be back for some damn reason.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
It's called "direct buried" and in the day of as-builts, brass valves and bullet-proof solenoids, there was no particular reason for valve boxes; you'd be dead before a service call was needed
Unfortunately, there was one company in town that did this many moons ago, and they used brass WM valves. Now I get to find and dig up as needed.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I still occasionally hunt up a single brass valve, usually an Imperial, and it will have some plastic sheeting over it. (and solenoid connections wrapped with electrical tape)
Old 10-30-2011, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What's really fun is when you encounter a site with an old hydraulic system that's been abandoned but never disconnected, and the valves are buried somewhere in the landscape w/o boxes (but not deep), and you get one of those rare freezes (for our area) and a valve cracks and water starts flowing out sprinklers the customer didn't even know he had because the system was installed two owners ago.