Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2011, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Also Sounds like you need general liability for the business not just the vehicle, We're required to have at least a 1 million dollar G/L policy for pesticide license, don't know about there, also skip the WB go for a stander you'll be glad you did.
How much does a 1 million dollar policy usually for the year?
No Edger yet
No Blower yet
All will be bought this winter
Old 10-31-2011, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 2 million 4 million gen. about 550 a year. make sure to insure your equipment too. and do full replacement cost. I have had equipment stolen, and it nice to be able to get full replacement cost vs used value. equipment is a lot of money, and theft is high.

2000 Ram 2500 5 speed
1996 f350 dump
2010 52'' Exmark Vantage
2005 48'' Scag walk behind
12' trailer
Protero bagger
echo trimmers and blowers
Western 8.5 MVP
Old 10-31-2011, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Glad to see your first year went well!! you sound a lot like me and having a pretty decent first year. I'm still part time but it takes time to build into a full time job if you do wish to get there. Best thing I found to do is set goals. I wanted to have around 10 customers and 15 monthly mows for my first year. Well I came up just sort of 10 customers but had over 20 monthly mows.

I seen someone ask about advertising.. I found the best way to get lawns was to use yard signs and just placed them where I seen favorable for me. People on here are not all big fans of these but the way I looked at it since I'm in college I don't have the most time to go door to door trying to gain business. By having yard signs hundreds of people drive past them daily! Can't beat that!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndols2 View Post
I have 2 million 4 million gen. about 550 a year. make sure to insure your equipment too. and do full replacement cost. I have had equipment stolen, and it nice to be able to get full replacement cost vs used value. equipment is a lot of money, and theft is high.
WOW that's cheap! who you using if I may ask?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeguy View Post
I used flyers that were made in MS Publisher and placed on billboards in grocery stores, hardware stores, etc... Two of my yards came from referals and one from seeing my truck sign. I put an ad on my local Craigslist, but did not get many calls from that, and the ones I did seemed like they wanted yard mowed for little $. If I saw a yard that wasn't maintained I would stop and ring the door bell and if no answer leave a business card. I asked my family and friends to carry a few of my cards and if they know of someone if they would pass along business card. I had tint company print vinyl vision print and placed on rear of vehicle, which was alittle more than doing magnets but looks alot better. Spend time to create business card and get good thick card stock or check out vistaprint.com for business cards.

I did not purchase any software and did all invoices and record keeping in MS Word and Excel. I kept a notebook in my truck and wrote down date, start/end times, and clients name then would do my billing and the end of month. Get seperate checking account for business only and maintain good accounting records so it will be easy when paying taxes. When I did my estimates for new customers I quoted a weekly and bi-weekly quote which I would write on a drafted Word document stating what would be done for $X.XX and signed. I would print off several at time and leave in my clipboard so I'd have available when giving quotes.

Check with your auto insurance policy to determine if your coverage is adquate and see if they would underwrite a general liablity policy covering you while mowing. I got a 500K policy from Nationwide for general liablity costing $250 per year. I use my SSN for tax ID and have business license using DBA. Contact a local uniform store once your business card is complete and create a nice company shirt (I prefered polo in dark navy color) and leave one in vehicle so you can change if doing quotes after mowing.

I feel that next year I could get my client list up to 20 by basic advertising as said above and more referals. Next year I will tell clients they will recieve discount each time they refer my services. They will be more willing to refer if they get something out of deal.

Sorry to be long winded. I always maintained a professional image and was polite to everyone. The client does not want someone on their property that looks like they have been on a drinking binge.
Congrats on the strong first year! If you're looking for an inexpensive, but comprehensive software package to keep things going for next year have a look at Jobber - www.getjobber.com - we have off-season rates that will let you play around with it right up until next season for cheap! Good luck either way!

Watch our 14 minute Quick Tour Video

Email: info@getjobber.com
Web: www.getjobber.com
Toll Free: 1-888-721-1115
Twitter: @GetJobber | Jobber on Facebook